Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Impulse Buys

whens my next visit!

ATC
    Susan,
    A hermit crab must have walked over it on Sat and there was a big flurry of sand and a glimpse of a yellow fin but still nothing. At least it's not dead, just being particular I guess.
    Aven

Aven - I've heard of these fish staying under for as long as a week when they are new to a tank. She'll come up when she's ready. Try squirting a little food near the sand where she went down, it might encourage her to come up.
    Susan

ATC
    Patience! Although we did get the bits for drilling the holes in the new tank. Might go buy a $5 cheapo for Barry to practice on. Could always use it later as a carbon tank. Lots of big ideas
    Aven

Sounds like a good idea to me. I don't think I'd be brave enough to drill a glass tank.
    Susan

Now there's something I could do! Finally!

Susan- you'll be proud of me- I actually got that little skimmer working. Good thing- my mantis tank was pea soup when I got home. Hubbie let the sun hit it all weekend. It's crystal clear now though!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Hey - I didn't even think of that. We have a glass expert in our midst!

Good for you for getting the Prizm working. I didn't have much luck with mine at all. Anywhere else you could put that tank where the sun doesn't hit it though?
    Susan

We were going to move it into the corner, but it's crystal clear now so I think I'll just leave it where it is. The sun is only a problem in spring and fall. I actually turned the skimmer off this morning. Austin is the only thing in the tank. I'm just going to run it at night I think- or when I need to clean the tank up.

Darn this weather- I wanted to get water this morning.

TIPS for drilling glass -
    - make sure it is kept wet while drilling
    - come at it on an angle, not straight up and down
    - don't press down- let the bit do the work
    - put the glass on something that will help absorb vibrations- like a folded towel
    - cold glass is more brittle than warm glass so try to have it on the warmish side ( but not hot!)
    - and say a little prayer first - my favourite is " please don't crack, please don't crack".
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12