Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CoolTouch pulse ballast

Ivan and I have agreed that we are both 99% sure the CoolTouch pulse start ballast will fire up XM bulbs. Can anyone else make us 100% sure?

I am running 250W 10K XMs on a Cool Touch ballast. I assume it's pulse start? It's in a big steel box, I used to run ARCs on it, it's the basic ballast right? (I did not purchase any ballast upgrades)

HTH
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

The normal ballast they sell is a probe start. You need the upgrade kit to make it pulse. If you need bulbs for that pulse start I have 4 new arc's cheap cheap cheap for sale.
    If your gonna do it, do it right the first time.

Tagging along on this one as I have 2 Cooltouch and one Coralvue electronic. I am running Arc bulbs right now but I was planning on buying 3 xm bulbs next month. I guess one sure fire way to know would be to call Kim and ask her, but, I never think of it during the day.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

The reason I am asking is because I want to upgrade my present lighting. I have three 250 watt MH lights going with a tar ballast. Some of my wow coloured corals have turned brown with nice coloured tips. I want the colour back so I am upgrading to 400 watt lights. I like the XM bulbs, so I am staying with those. I have been through Iwasaki, Venki's and old CoralVues with no success. I like the brightness and colour of the XMs however. I was in contact with J&L's and he recommended going with the pulse start to ensure that if I ever switched from XMs, to say, some high end European bulbs, they would fire on my new ballasts. He did say pulse ballasts would fire the XMs, but I want to be sure.

Senior Member Weddel Tech Support's Avatar
    Hi Percula99,

To answer your question XM is designed for probe start ballast.

It works with pulse start but not for best performance meaning it will not hit the high PAR levels and coloration which can be attained with the Probe Start ballasts but it will still have a PAR rating higher than theaverage bulb on the market.

Swiseman ,Coralvue Electronic ballast will also run XM bulbs.
    Glad to be of assistance,hope we were able to answer your questions concerning the products we distribute.

Regards
    WTS

***For inquiries about where to buy and pricing, PLEASE PM me we will refer you to a store nearest you.***

Smile

on another note browing of corals can mean other issues and if they were nice before with those lamps then either your lamps are getting old or theres some water issue.
    upgrading to more intense lighting is not the answer IMO. 250 lamps is more than enough for a 180g tank like yours. but,, if you want to pay more hydro then go ahead [wink wink]
    as well, I've ran both ARC 10k and XM 10k side by side. coloration and intensity were SO CLOSE! I think the ARC's were a knockoff of XM. I really like them and have had 0 issues with ARCs on probe start ballasts.

Hey Johnny. The corals were nicely coloured when I bought them from MS, but browned after being under my lighting. And my SPS are all at the very top of my tank. My water parameters are all bang on, so I don;t see that as being the issue. My lights are suspended 11 inches off the water, which I think is supposed to be ideal. No heat build up issues, and no bursting bulbs from splashing, and still close enough to light the corals.

You are losing a good amount of light intensity with them being up that high. Many people keep them at 5-6" from the surface with no problems. Try lowering you lights first for a couple of months or more.

I agree with Johnny, it may not be a lighting issue considering many people keep colourful SPS with less than what you have.

Senior Member Weddel Tech Support's Avatar
    Honestly I dont think the ARCS are a knock off of XM from the pics I have seen they are well priced but are definetly not the same spectrum or intensity please correct me if I am wrong.
    Soon we will have a submersible lux meter to test bulbs for output to give us an idea of what different brands output are and what the loss is at different heights and depths.

Different spectrums do produce different colors within the corals which is mainly due to the effect it has on the algae. The algae will display different colors based on light intensity and/or wavelength.

This is not the only reason for change in color but one of the main ones.
    Glad to be of assistance,hope we were able to answer your questions concerning the products we distribute.

Regards
    WTS

***For inquiries about where to buy and pricing, PLEASE PM me we will refer you to a store nearest you.***

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast