ARC T-5 Bulbs (A+ Performance)

About a month ago I started my 90G reef... $2500 later I finally have a good stab at it. I decided to try out T-5 lighting as I have read a lot of good reviews on many different forums. I ended up purchasing the Sunlight Supply Teklight 6-Bulb 48" Hood in black for $400. I was not prepared to spend the money that Giesemann wants for their T-5 bulbs although I have been a proud owner of a Giesemann pendent in the past and I must say that the build quality is amazing.

Anyways back to my review.

I have shopped at Aquaria.ca often and Ivan is a great guy to deal with as well... so I decided to try out the ARC brand T-5 bulbs. For 6 bulbs (3x 10,000K and 3x Actinic Plus) it cost me around $75 + tax, which is half the price of the Giesemann brand.

I plugged them in and I was very impressed to say the least. These bulbs are BRIGHT!!! Even with just 2x Actinic Plus bulbs on for dawn/dusk effect, the tank glows very brightly!

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

2x Actinic Plus Bulbs

3x Actinic Plus & 3x 10,000K

Well I can now compare these to the Giesemann bulbs... I wish I had taken a photo but at Oakville Reef Gallery they had the same fixture over a 120G (4' x 2' x 2') with identical bulb temperatures but by the more expensive manufacturer and the brightness and color looked identical.... VERY VERY bright and all of my corals are instantly doing much better. So far I have a large neon green torch from Ivan... many varieties of zoos/polyps, a couple small frags of Acan lord... a monti cap, GSP, and many different mushrooms and everything fully opens with no bleaching as of yet...

If you are thinking about getting T-5 lighting for your tank, I highly recommend the change over. I use 324W of electricity when all 6 bulbs are on compared to 720W if I would have gone with 2x 250W halides and 2x 110W VHO. Although I am missing the sparkle that MH gives, I am still very happy with my choice and just as another side note, the Sunlight Supply Tek-Light is fantastic... weighs in at 2.5 pounds and looks stunning over the tank IMO.

Hope this helps people with light choices.

Good luck.

Matt

good! i'm glad u got the actinic plus and not the superactinic 03, i've tried both, and honestly, a world of difference in colour

ijo
    That hood looks super nice!!! Your bulb combination gives you a nice crisp white light with a hint of blue!!! A+

IJO

I'm gona need some replacement lamps so this's interesting and encouraging !

Where are these bulbs made? Does "ARC" has a website?

The price is definitely very tempting
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

Hey... they are made by Aquariacanada.com, so if you click shopping than dry goods at the top of these forums.

They are very inexpensive but the actual output and color of these bulbs is amazing!!!

Good luck,
    Matt

I know AC here sells them.... but they are not MADE by AC, are they?
    Just courios if the bulbs are made in Europe, China or what not
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

They are made locally or I think maybe in Montreal. I am sure Ivan could chime in and let us know exactly where they are made but maybe not too. They are not made overseas though as far as I know.

ijo
    We purchase them from a company located in the US(they do not have a website).

We have sold hundreds of these lamps and have had only 3 issues to date(the last 2 being from the same client... sorry) If your not completely satisfied with your purchase... just send them back and we can apply credit on your account..

We are currently talking with a few retailers located across Canada in hopes to bring these lamps a little closer for those out of towners. If you think your LFS might be interested... give us their email/phone number or have them contact us.

IJO