Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which reactor?

Senior Member upthecreekwithoutapaddle's Avatar

which reactor?

kalk vs calcium reactors--what to use. i am setting up a 180g and thought i would get away from manual dosing. need to find the pros and cons of different reactors. now i keep reading about balling methods etc. what method do you use and why?

I use a Two Part kit from Bulk Reef Supply.
    http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Two-Pa...c52/index.html

I like that it allows me to dose Calcium, Magnesium, and Alkalinity seperatly and at a very reasonable cost. After you measure and dose your tank for a few weeks, you will know your dosing requirements and be able to dose without checking parameters everytime. It also allows me to chose what ever salt I want and just up's parameters to my liking, again for little cost or effort. I tend to dose weekly or twice a week, others dose daily, or have it automated to drip.

Bulk Reef supply also supplies a calulator to help with the dosing.
    http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/i6/Cal...formation.html

yeh i like the idea of less electrical and going manual but wondering if its feasable for larger systems?
    what size system do you run?
    what do you do during vacations?

Quote Originally Posted by upthecreekwithoutapaddle View Post
    yeh i like the idea of less electrical and going manual but wondering if its feasable for larger systems?
    what size system do you run?
    what do you do during vacations?
    My tank is 120g. It would be fine for a week on it's own. If I had to, I am confident and comfortable I could have someone dose for me if I really wanted. It is like 3 oz. Calcium/week, etc.

IMHO, I am more comfortable letting my calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity slide for a period of time than I am not feeding my tank. I would let my parameters slide for 2 weeks without a single worry, no food for the tank for 2 weeks would not be cool and I suspect many habitants would turn on each other for a meal or worse on the coral!!!

would the starter kit be enough to keep me going--how far does the product last with reg. dosing?

Quote Originally Posted by upthecreekwithoutapaddle View Post
    would the starter kit be enough to keep me going--how far does the product last with reg. dosing?
    I went with The Total Two Part Package and it defintely is not too much. I can see it lasting me about 6 - 12 months, maybe a little more. Depending on the salt you chose, how often you do water changes, and what you keep in your tank, your needs will vary. If I was going to do anything different, I would get extra Magnesium.

has anyone tried the tailored aquatics suplements? are they comparable to BR. i know tailored aquatics started selling in larbe quantities. i.e. 1g jugs

liv
    I've had reactors for years now, love it.
    my last one is a reef octopus dual chamber. I got it from Ottawa Inverts. Great China made unit.. instructions are useless for dialing it properly, but common sence and test kits will fix that.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

the dual doser is a cal reactor? find it easy to operate or high maintanence?

liv
    very easy to operate, setup tubing, add media ( coarse aragonite ( ARM media )
    set flow to a constant fast drops ( in my case its just under a steady stream ) then setup your regulator to drop about 1 bubble per minute for about 1day.. then check ph inside chamber.. ajust bubbles according to ph ( too high, raise bubbles, too low ( acid ) lower bubbles. ) then once a week recheck setup and make sure ph is at proper level.. refill media once depleated.. ( so far, one ARM bucket lasts me ~1year and ~24$ I believe I paid last time ) so comes down to 2$ a month for the media and then fill the 15lbs bottle about once a year at 25$ so.. ~5$ a month to operate.

You can add a ph controller like the milwakee 822 to the setup so you never have to worry about if its too low or high.. it does it for you.

the initial cost is what stops alot of folks. but well worth it for stability.

you are feeding your corals what previous corals ate.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast