Overflow disaster - Drilling 25g tank

Well...we had a disaster last night. Anita was awakened by a loud screaching sound from the aquarium. She investigated and found the sump dry. She added five gallons of water and brought the level in the sump back up to where it should be then woke me and told me what happened. Needless to say I was out of bed like a shot to see where all that water had gone. It turns out that an old repair on the home made overflow on the 25 gallon tank had let go and the outside part of the overflow fell off. The siphon drained the inside overflow box onto the floor then the pump filled the tank up to the point that it overflowed onto the floor. Eventually the sump ran dry and the water stopped running onto the floor and the pump cavitated and started to whine. I solved the problem for the night by turning off the pump on the 25 gallon aquarium before it would overflow the tank again and took to the task of drilling the 25g to prevent that sort of thing from happening again.

Thos of you who read the siphon thread a while back will recall that siphons are my least favourite way to get water out of an aquarium but I'll use them when they are the only option. Now I've drilled my 25 gallon aquarium and took some pictures along the way. I'll get them trimmed down to size and uploaded in the next message.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

That sucks!
    Was there much damage to the floor ?
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Quote Originally Posted by pwall
    Was there much damage to the floor ?
    Oh...I guess I should have mentioned that. Hehehe. Thanks for asking.

The floor is a concrete slab so I didn't even bother to clean up the water last night. I just mopped it up this morning.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Wow that does suck Hank, you were lucky in many ways though. I think thats one of my worst nightmares. Since my tank is in a finished basement with a floating laminate floor, it would cost me thousands to replace not to mention the labour issue and the divorce lawyer that would insue.
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Fortunately, Anita likes the aquariums and the critters in them so these minor catastrophes aren't real show stoppers for her. She was skeptical about the tank in the beginning when we (I) were (was) planning tio move it from my parent's house to our new house. I didn't care for it very well at my folks place so it was overgrown and nasty. It is looking pretty good here but could do with some new lights.

So...to the process...I drained the tank and moved the sand, live rock, and critters (the two big crabs, the narrow line puffer, and Ruby (Gkilla's maroon clown)) into a pair of big rubbermaid tubs then cleaned out and dried the tank. I've done my tank drilling in the downstairs shower in the past because it is a cheap $100 plastic shower stall from Home Hardware and has good water and good drainage.

I first marked out the location of the surface skimmer overflow and the 1.5" ID (2.0" OD) bulkhead. I then used a wash of water from the shower head as I cut a 1" hole using a diamond hole saw. Once I had the 1" hole cut I held a diamond glass edge grinder (I do stained glass) by hand with water from the shower head running down through the hole and over the grinding head to keep the glass and the head cool. I gradually enlarged the hold until it was a full 2". The glass grinder produces a perfectly square, very smooth edge.

Hank.

Once I had the hole enlarged to 2" and the bulkhead installed I took a run over to the local Home Hardware (in Spencerville) by way of the post office, the Villiage Pantry (general store), and the gas station (to put up fliers for my May long weekend straw bale construction course) to get a tube of aquarium silicone.

I took the inside box from the old broken overflow (6" wide, 5" tall, and 2.5" deep) and used my table saw (which is in the kitchen of the new house which is unfinished) to cut the fingers off and reduce the height to 4", and the back off to reduce it to 2" deep then siliconed it to the back of the tank.

Now...we just wait 24 hours to refill the tank.

Hank.

The tank is up and running and everything seems good. It isn't quite level (though it is MUCH more level than it was before all this happened) so the surface skimmer is skimming mostly on the right half. I am REALLY please with how it went and I am absolutely tickled to have my tank drilled.

I forgot to mention in my last posts that this is an old Hagen 25g so the glass is 1/4" thick.

Here are a picture of the overflow in action and of the bulkhead and right angle fitting at the back of the tank. I put the overflow at the center of the back of the tank. I'll post a picture of the full tank once the dust settles (I had to take all the aragonite out so it ended up pretty messy when I set it back up. The puffer always looks so pathetic swimming around coated in dust.)

Hank.

Thanks for posting that mis-hap, I am going to remember to make some glass brackets to silicone under my external overflow, just in case.
    Ron N

Draining, drilling, and refilling my tank only took me half a day. The overflow box is a simple plastic box. Nothing fancy as you can see. The bulkhead fittings are available from Canus Plastics (they have a full range of sizes and styles and are reasonably priced) or you can get them here from Ivan. I think it's worth moving to a drilled tank as soon as possible if you're using a sump anyway. I used the overflow for a few months but am glad to me done with the drilling. I'll have much less water on my floor now that it is done.

Hank.