Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to build a tank stand

Hi,

My name is Mark...and Im a nooB! lol

Ive been doing all kinds of research on DIY stands. I found a couple good links for bigger stands..but havnt been finding too many in the 65 gallon tank stands. If people could post their plans and or pics of home made stands, that would be amazing. The tank measures 48" long...and 13" wide. I plan on just using pine and staining it black.

Thanks in advance...everyone has been really helpfull.

Mark

You can always use the design of the stands you have seen and just change the size of the lumber used and reduce the dimensions.
    Rob

liv
    you can use 2x4 doubled or 2x6's. my 130g was on 2x6's.
    but at 65g, why not get one at the store ( the steel frames )? and simply add wood to it ? simpler and you would have more room inside. thats what i would do if i had a tank with those dimentions. I still prefer steel to wood.

Anyone know how much the steel frames are?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    BigAl's Montreal usually has great prices on steel frames.

oh, and here's an interesting site I recently stumbled upon for DIY stands...
    http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Here is a picture of my 90g stand, made from 2x4 and 4x4 then painted with CIL Bathroom latex.[IMG][/IMG]
    I put 2 - 2x4's verticaly on each corner (againts the outside of the 4x4 and flush with the top and base 2x4's) after this shot was taken to support the top.
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Sweet! Thanks Tang man :biglaugh2

Quote Originally Posted by tang_man_montreal
    BigAl's Montreal usually has great prices on steel frames.

oh, and here's an interesting site I recently stumbled upon for DIY stands...
    http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php
    Cool!
    Saved this one in my favourites.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Very good link indeed!
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

tank stand

Snellgrove, Is your tank sitting on the edge of the 2x4 or the 4x4. Because if I am not correct (sorry) but it looks like your 2x4 are screwed to the outside of the 4x4 and not sitting on top of them. If so your tank weight(load) is only carried by some screws=not good.
    Witness, please try not to design using 4x4. OF all lumber I use that is the most prone to warping. It is also allowed to be sold as a semi wet product and not dried properly like other lumber ie: 2x4. You cannot control the wood movement especially in an aquarium setting. I have built many many stand s over the years and you can pm with your final design and I'll take a look. Simple 2x4 framing is overbuild for most applications. But overbuilt usually gices DIYers the peace of mind to sleep at night. Most factory built stands will be supported by plywood gables up to about 180gal. And even bigger could be supported by ply just more of it. A solid 2x4 frame can be skinned with any type of wood imaginable. Or left as is. your choice.
    Good luck.
    PM me and I'll sedn some pics for ideas.
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast