Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone tried the DIY Chiller?

Hey,

I am curious what you guys use for a chiller in the hot months coming up. I have read a lot about using a small 1.8 ft3 fridge, drilling two holes in the top, passing a long length of tube into a bucket of water inside the fridge and having a pump push water through this tube on my controller (Reef Keeper).

Has anyone tried this? I have a 29Gallon tank with 20G sump, 150W HQI Giesemann with 2x65W PC Actinics. Already the temp is going up to 80C in the day and it isn't even hot yet. I am in an apartment and do not have an AC and do not plan on getting one as there is not a window to mount it properly.

Any suggestions here?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by aumontmatthew
    Hey,

I am curious what you guys use for a chiller in the hot months coming up. I have read a lot about using a small 1.8 ft3 fridge, drilling two holes in the top, passing a long length of tube into a bucket of water inside the fridge and having a pump push water through this tube on my controller (Reef Keeper).
    Simply not enough cooling power (in btu's) to cool an aquarium. :bawling:

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

ToX
    get a wall ac instead of the window ac

There are a couple things you can do with a small fridge.

Cooling a tank up to 30 gallons up to 3-4 degrees is one of them. Not a good one, it will tend to use up the unit much sooner.

Using one to hold up a fan is a much better use for cooling purposes. A 20-30 watt fan blowing across the surface will evaporate an extra gallon or two per day. This will cool the tank significantly more than the fridge would.

Using a bar fridge to chill your beer, a very nice idea.

If you are fluent in HVAC (or have a wiling buddy who is) you can convert a window type AC unit. It will still cost you $500-$1000 to set it up, but, it will compare to a more expensive unit. Realistically, you are better off spending the money on an AC for the house / apartment and you can enjoy the benefits too.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deafboy
    Simply not enough cooling power (in btu's) to cool an aquarium. :bawling:

Michel

Also not efficient, and the standard refridgerator compressor was not designed for a continuous duty cycle that would be required as it struggled to keep up with the cooling.

Besides, A chiller for your size tank wouldn't be much more than that bar fridge... and you could negate the need of one entirely by regulating your temp with some fans over the sump.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

liv
    if you want to try something out,
    get yourself a peltier device and a titanium rod of the same thickness as the peltier dev. put in a huge heatsync on the other side with a fan.. i tried it in freshwater with a aluminium and it did cool the water.. it also formed ice on the alum

the problem is finding a titanium rod that thickness for cheap.

thanks for all the advice. i would hate to have anything in my tank die due to high temperatures. if I were to buy a chiller, any suggestions?
    matt

liv
    ebay
    but ask ivan, i'm sure he has access to some super nice one as a nice price too

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Honestly speaking though, you should be able to maintain your tank's temp with some fans; blowing over across the water between the light, and in the sump... Controlled at a preset temp by your ReefKeeper.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Yeah that Reef Keeper is controller a small fan now over the sump. May just need to boost the speed on it to help out more.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast