Auto-top off with no electricity?

Any plumbing experts? Would this work? Just an idea when I was in the study. :wink5:

Would the unit inside the toilet function if the water going in was low pressure? See my basic drawing.

Thanks,
    Adam

I'm not sure what a toilet has to do with it but from what I see there the set up would work by gravity feed as long as the output is below the holding tank. It dose not matter that the supply line is coming up from the bottom.
    Rob

Just buy a float valve. Simple, cheap, and made for this purpose. I use one made my Kent. They sell them on this site:

http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/...roducts_id=354

I fill my 50 gallon RO/DI storage container up once a week and let gravity and the little valve take care of the water level in the sump. I am good for at least 2 weeks of unattended top-off if I am away from home.

Thanks Bvoss, I have never seen one of those before, essentially the same thing in minature.

If this is so small, cheap and simply why do I see so many theads about electric/eletronic systems?

OSD the toilet part would be in the sump, it stops the water coming in when the plastic ball is raised to a certain level.

I'm in the research stage, I've almost bought the house to go around my new tank. :wink5:

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR
    If this is so small, cheap and simply why do I see so many theads about electric/eletronic systems?
    Cuz in this hobby we all like to spend money! :biglaugh2

Seriously, with the auto-top units that are electronic, there is no need to have the water container to be above the tank....thus, no gavity flow. My top-off container is a 23g plastic garbage container sitting 4 feet away on the floor. Gravity flow would not work with that.
    Plus, part of the 'auto top-off' that is often discussed here also involves having the RO/DI automatically controlled to keep ro/di water in the top off container. Thus, I never have to manually fill the container.

Guess it really boils down to the level of automation (level of convinence) that you're willing to pay to have.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Most people do not have room to put the RO storage above the tank. If you can do it, gravity is the way to go.

One problem you will have is overflowing your storage container when you forget to turn your RO/DI unit off. Everybody does this dumb trick over and over again. I use a single float switch and a solenoid to turn mine off when I forget.

Well, I've done that more than once.
    My ro/di is now completely automated, so it will never happen again.
    But in case technology fails, my ro/di overflows to a drain. And will soon have an alarm hooked up (once I find a decent float switch) to warn me that the ro/di hasn't turned off like it should.
    But it'll never happen anyways right.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Thanks guys! This si why I like this forum so much. Ask a silly question and get a few good ideas. :smile3:

PWALL, even if you have the storage container on the floor, you can still use this float vlave with a small pressure pump in betwen.
    Pressure pump comes on only when the float valve is open.