Building a new tank.

I've written in the past about my plans for a new tank. I'm running at least a pair of straw bale construction workshops (www.dna.ca/sbworkshops) this summer and hope to start buying the glass for the new tank.

I was thinking about doing 72" x 24" x 36" (269g) with the 72" and 24" dimensions being set by the side of the space the tank is going into but I've been thinking of making it taller possibly as tall as 48" (359g.) Now to the question at hand...where to drill the holes.

Obviously, I want the return holes at the top of the tank. I was thinking about using two or three good sized returns (maybe...2") with a full width surface skimmer but that would interfere with a closed loop return high up on the tank. Then I thought that I might use individual return skimmer boxes (like the 6" x 4" x 1.5" one on my 25g tank.) I was thinking about putting a couple of 1" or bigger closed loop intakes low on the glass then the returns (three maybe) at the top of the tank. I'd also put the return from the sump up at the top of the tank with a loop above the surface of the water for a siphon break.

Does this sound reasonable? Am I missing something about the placement of the holes?

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

48" is awful deep, how do you plan on aquascaping it?

what is strawbale condtruction anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    48" is awful deep, how do you plan on aquascaping it?
    I'm planning to do the same thing that I've done with my current tank. A pile of rocks. My 90 gallon tank is 24" deep. Maybe 48" is overkill. 36 doesn't seem like enough. Maybe 40" or 42" would be more reasonable. I'll probably bury the top 4" in the wall anyway (to partially hide the mechanics at the top of the tank.) Even with giving away a bunch of my rock to Gkilla I've still got a colt that is sticking out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    what is strawbale condtruction anyway?
    The outside wall of my house is straw bales and cement plaster. It's an old (150 years plus) method of building energy efficient buildings. Check out the OSBBC website for more information.

www.strawbalebuilding.ca

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Is the 48" dimension the top to bottom height or the front to back distance? The former is likely too big but the later would be nice.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nickb
    Is the 48" dimension the top to bottom height or the front to back distance? The former is likely too big but the later would be nice.
    72" side to side, 24" front to back, some height top to bottom (with about 4" hidden at the top.) The width is set by the distance between the right wall in the front hall and the left wall in the dining room. The front to back depth is set by the Juliette balcony above.

Hank.

This is what I was thinking. Three 10" x 5" skimmer boxes with 2" drain holes draining to the sump (red) with two 1" return holes (green). The closed loop would drain (blue) from the bottom corners then there would be four closed loop returns (cyan) along the top. The four returns would let me use a wave make valve.

The circles with the little stands are the symbol for a pump.

Hank.

Here's a picture of where the new aquarium is going to sit. The little room behind the aquarium is my wet room. It is 6' x 6' and has water and a drain and a dedicated 20A GFCI breaker.

The plywood covered box above the aquarium is the Juliette balcony off the third bedroom. The aquarium chase will end at the balcony (in fact the balcony was added to the house plans to top off the aquarium chase.)

To the right of the wet room is the front hall, to the left the dining room, and in front the great room.

Hank.

I think 3 overflows is overkill. Why not drop it back to 2 at each end to minimise loss of tank space for important things like coral. :biglaugh2

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by carrhd

The outside wall of my house is straw bales and cement plaster. It's an old (150 years plus) method of building energy efficient buildings. Check out the OSBBC website for more information.

www.strawbalebuilding.ca

Hank.

he huffed and he puffed.... :hysterica