converting to DE from SE setup?

I have the standard PFO ballast with mogul setup. I'm wanting to covert to DE lamps. The SUNAQAUTICS DE lamp needs no sheild as it is coated. What would I need to change over? I guess I would have to change out the whole plug and play from the ballast to the reflector no?

John,

If you are converting the existing system, you can keep all of the quick connect plugs and wiring. The end of the wires (Line and Neutral) going into the mogul socket needs to be disconnected and each end connected to a FC2 socket. This will be the only change required. You can space the 2 FC2 sockets after you get the bulbs.

You can buy your sockets from J&L

Here is the link.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...gno=pfo-pmcq25

Hope this helps.

Venki

so does this mean that I can use say a regular 250w ballast which was wired up for SE bulbs and just change the wiring of the socket and get 2 FC2 sockets and new 250DE bulbs??

If so is there a way to change a dual 250w pfo ballast to make it run two 250DE lights...also do DE come in 175w???

BTW Johnny did that wiring work out??

Cool

I just noticed I made a mistake. DE do need a glass shield and SE do not. Just a typo. Now, Venki says that you can just exchange moguls for DE lamps but as far as I know about ballasts it is recommended that you use the HQI or I think it is also known as the pulse start ballast for DE lamps. I'm no expert and its just what I've read. I'm hoping DE comes out in 400w soon. Any word on this Venki?

liv
    i was told that its better to use hqi.. but normal works fine also.
    is it true that you get more light out of an hqi then regular Se bulb ? if so.. how much more ? i heard twice the lighting...

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

while they are a bit brighter its more for compactness. They did some tests but the testing was without the shield[why I don't know?] and the results were great but you need the glass cover and when they tested with the glass cover it was only somewhat brighter but I guess every little bit counts. DE lamps are used in pendents which are more versatile.

johnny if you have any of your set up for se that you don't need anymore whe you go to de please keep me in mind. I need everything but the ballast.
    stephen
    Stephen

An update:

As a rule of thumb it is advisable to use UV shield with all DE bulbs. UL requirement need the use of shield and a breaker switch if the glass is not in place to prevent the light from operating with out the glass shield.

JOhhny, you may be better of buying pendants from RO/geisseman, because the DE was efficient compared to SE only because of the reflector used, so you need a pendant with a good reflector in it.

Now I am hearing that you might have to use uv shield on SE MH on some of the other brands available out there, epsecially if your corals experience bleaching/SDN/RTN.

Some DE vailable in the market will work on TAR ballast but will require more time to start. Check with your supplier before you buy them.

As for 400 watts, there have been a few 400 watts DE bulbs in the market but none that have been "successful" in a way. May be in a few months, there may be some 400 watts DE, just in time for you setup.

Venki

If you decide to go the DIY route and need FC2 sockets, I may have a few lying around, that I can spare.