Ceramics in the Tank

I was reading the DIY forum over at RC and came across this thread.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=812085

About halfway into it an art student brings up using Stoneware Clay and firing it changing it to a glass type strucure which should be inert. I wouldn't consider using any glazes or paints and just leave the fired ceramic bare. Also they mention using red stoneware clay and if fired in reduction it will turn a purple color without glazing.

Has anyone tried anything like this? I think you could make some really neat shapes and avoid the normal curing of other DIY rocks.

man made rocks

The strucutres can be quite impressive. The draw back is that if you rely on your rockwork for biological filtration then it is really not porous enough. Live rock from the ocean is ridiculously porous. Minute little fissures all over the rock give you alot of colonizable surface area that is not present on man made surfaces (even aragocrete). But if the structure is what you want it should be fine.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jaden
    The draw back is that if you rely on your rockwork for biological filtration then it is really not porous enough.
    I was considering this as a possible option to make a rock wall to cover the back of the tank and hide a few closed loop return pipes. I have made something out of agrecrate but am thinking this might save me a few months of curing.

Would the ceramics leach out any silicates?

depends on the clay, it doesn't matter if u fired it or not, over time there would stil be dissolving of the structure imo

Like jaden said it isn't going to be porous or permeable so water won't be able to permeate it and bacteria won't be able to colonize it,

However if that isn't your concern then you have nothing to worry about with clay, even if it were to dissolve it wouldn't do anything to your tank, alot of clay is naturally occuring and composed of caco3
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

People have been using clay pots in breeding tanks almost since the dawn of fish breeding without issue, so I'm sure you can find a clay that won't cause problems.

As far as bacteria colonization goes, it's surface area that counts. Since live rock is so porous it has a monstrous surface area and it can hold a lot of life.

Less porous structures mean less life. They do not mean no colonization.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Now to find what type of clay they use for pots. I am not at all concerned about bacteria or the porosity, I am going for a look only.

The more I think about it, the less concerned I'd be about using ceramics in your tank. They sell ceramic bio rings for filters for use in marine tanks. The only problem with them is they're best for FO systems. The rings themselves aren't leaching anything into the water.

I've no idea how they make them so porous mind you.

On top of that, I know of at least one person that's put patio stones into his reef tank, so I'm thinking you've a lot less to be concerned about

At worse, cure them before you use them.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

liv
    ya.. i know that person too.. ...... cough JR... cough LOL
    once the coraline took off and corals grew on it.. u got no idea what it is.
    just like a guy said one another post, the once shiny ship looks like a wierd LR now.

i don't think you have to worry about it leaching stuff.. but to be on the safe side you could always boil the tiles and leave them to dry in the sun for a good 2days. ( just like we did to wood before putting in a FW tank. )