Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using a generator for power backup

My generator will be delivered later this afternoon. It's this one:
    http://www.colemanpowermate.com/gene...m0545004.shtml

I think I'm going to build a little wooden housing for it and put it out on my back deck. I've heard that they can be wired into your electrical box so that you don't need to run a bunch of power cords but I'm wondering if it would have to be in the basement next to the box to do this?

Also, anyone know about how much electricity an oil furnace uses?
    Susan

An Oil Furnace ? I would not think much? I mean you would only be running the Blower motor right?

as for running it on the main breaker.. you would not have to have it in the house.. Just if you can find a way to run the wires through your house..

What we are doing is we are going to have the house built with the main fuse Panel.. but then our Family room with have its own Fuse Box running from the Main panel.. but it will have our Natural gas generator inbetween the Main panel and the family room panel.. So when the power goes out.. we will have Full power to our Family room and to the Kitchen in the basement ( next to the family room) this way.. My tank will not be effected.. and i will be able to eat HOT food and not have whinning kids with nothing to do

I have mine in a wooden box outside that is vented for exhaust. I just run cords in the house for the tank. I have wood stoves that I can keep the house warm with in an emergency. I like the idea of wiring the furnace though. It would definately be able to run the blower on the furnace. That's all you would need. Nice idea...
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

My neighbour just had an electrician install a seperate box beside his power breaker box. Inside this box are units (of his choice ie fridge, well pump, freezer, etc). Then the electrician ran the wire box out to the side of his house and put an outlet with a flip cover out there. When the power goes out he puts the generator beside the house, plugs it into the outlet, fires it up and flips a panel button inside the house to re-route the power to the new box and then throughout the house. I'll ask him what the labour and parts went for. It's a pretty slick operation and apparently becoming very popular.
    Best thing, generator outside, no wires running in the house.

If you want to wire the generator into the electrical box you will need a transfer switch of same kind. A generator attached directly to the house power can feed power back onto the grid. Just imagine the surprise if someone was working on the lines just outside the house.

The power required for the fan motor could be up to 1500 watts.

ATC
    Susan supposedly you just have to plug it into an outside plug but you have to make sure you turn off the main power switch from the NSP pole so like Andrew says you don't light up the poor bugger working on the lines. then just turn off the breakers you don't want to power. Are you forced hot air or hot water?
    Aven

Hey look scooby,

We have the same hippo tang ..... mmmmmmmm

Van impdaddy
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Flame,

When we had the big ice-storm in Quebec about 5 years back, the Coleman generators were being bought up quickly due to the cheap price.

Along with many other generators, these motors were not meant to be run days on end. What came out of this all was that the Honda generators were the only ones that held up for prolonged usage.

Basically from our experience, the other generators all were basically scrap in need of major repair after it was all over. They weren't meant to be run continuously.

If you bought it for an occasional power failure, it'll probably be cost-effective. If it's as a power supply in case of another hurricane, buy a Honda.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but we had 2 weeks in the dead of winter to find this out, thousands of consumers found out the hard way ...

I don't work for Honda or any of its affiliates, I just know a good, quiet and dependable generator when I see one. Yes, they are expensive but it'll probably be the last generator you'll ever buy ...

Van impdaddy
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Thanks, the Tang is what I'm looking to put in the future tank and the Avtar is a creation by request from your one and only "Flame Angle".

Hopefully very shortly I'll have a picture of one as well to share.

Thanks for the information guys. I'll be talking to an electrician next I guess. I do want to do this properly. There is an outdoor outlet on my deck though, that should mke it easy. Scooby - I'd really appreciate knowing approximately what your friend paid for his setup. Sounds ideal!

The generator is here. It's way bigger than I was expecting and requires two men to lift. Looks pretty heavy duty to me. 5 gallon gas tank, rated for 5000w running and 6250 surge.

I'm not really planning on extended use but, well, I guess time will tell. Anyway, at this point in the game $1000 is as much as I'm willing to spend on a generator. Of course if we get another hurricane I may be singing a different tune

Can I store gas (in gas containers) outdoors? If so, how long do you think it would be good for?

Barry & Aven - what kind were you guys using? Didn't you run it pretty much steady for almost a week?

The furnace is hot water, does that make a difference?

ReefVan - similar tang but not the same. Note the shape of the black markings and position of the pectoral fin. I wouldn't steal your pic, promise
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast