Thread: DE MH Bulbs

DE MH Bulbs

Just wondering if there are members here who have made
    their own DE metal halide fixtures Or using this type of lights?
    Presently running single ended Mh bulbs,but heat is getting
    out of control even with fans and AC. :drool:
    I 've been told DE bulbs promote less heat and light up more.
    are there any suggestions on this type of bulbs?....... :biglaugh2
    the cons and pros on using DE mh?
    any thoughts suggestions?
    thanks in advance......... :help:

Hi there yellowtang,

First off, I made my own DE lamp pendant and dual ballast for 250W HQI lamps. It was a bit of work, but less cheaper to make my pendant than to buy something off the shelf in a store. Beside, I like to thinker and built things...

On a side note, the amount of heat should be the same, IMO, for either type of lamps. Wether it is 150, 250 or 400 watts. Laws of physics cannot be changed. Period. :wink5: The only place where you can cut down on heat is the type of ballas you have, electronic or coil and core. I have two M80 ballasts (coil and core) and I can tell you that they generate a lot of heat, so much that the box gets really hot. Supplemental heat for the tank! :biglaugh2

Now, back to the DE pendants. I purchased two 500W outside security lights and modified them to be able to install the special HQI sockets. Once completed, it was just a matter of hooking them up to the ballast.

Total cost for the 250W DE HQI pendant, less the bulbs:

Light fixture: about 11$ each at Canadian Tire

Pair of 250W DE sockets: About 21$ each at JL Aquatics

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s..._ID=pfo-pmcq25

What made me decide over which safety light to choose was that the one I picked had a tempered cover with UV filter. This is very important to note, as you probably know, DE bulbs emit UV A, B and C. You need this UV protection against UV A and B as they are not good for lifeforms.

Anyhoo, here is a pic of the brand of pendant I got at CT. If you have additional questions, feel free to ask.

PS: I will be posting a series of pics and a brief description of how I went about making these pendant and building the dual ballast. :wink5:

HTH

Cheers!
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Hello,

If I want to put only a 150WDE and change the sockets, Do we need also a MH ballast or the one inside the reflector is enough powerfull??? I just want to find a cheap and efficient solution for my future frag tank!!!

Serge: are you still using your home made reflector???
    90G reef 20G sump
    euro-reef cs6-3
    SSB + RDSB

Quote Originally Posted by Jarjar
    Hello,

If I want to put only a 150WDE and change the sockets, Do we need also a MH ballast or the one inside the reflector is enough powerfull??? I just want to find a cheap and efficient solution for my future frag tank!!!

Serge: are you still using your home made reflector???
    You definitely require a HQI ballast for your DE lamp. There is no ballast in the lamp enclosure that is in the picture above. That lamp is a regular halogen bulb and runs on 120Vac.

Yes, my reflectors are still in use. In fact, My DIY HQI ballasts/lamps are still going well. Those XM 20K sure look nice. I don't think I will ever change, except when they are too old of course. hyeah:

Cheers!
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

so it costs about 35$ to convert a pendant + lets say 65$ for some bulbs (brand not taken into account).
    100 per pendant x 2 units = $200
    How much is it for a ballast?
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

depends if ur good at DIY... u could get away with a magnetic ballast with housing for lke 70

if you dont like playing with high voltage like me? its gonna cost between 80-120

If you will be DIYing the pendant, the money saved can be appplied toward a quality bulb. :wink5:

Now, as Ricepicker says, if you are not confortable with high voltage, or basic electricyt for that matter, the safest route it to obtain a ready built HQI ballast. The voltages involved can kill you instantly! Well over 1,000 volt @ 2 to 4 amps, depending on what type of ballast you get. The capacitor can also store quite a lot of energy that can send you sailing accross the room, litterally.
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

definitely watch the capacitor, they will hold their charge even after the cord is unplugged.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery