Flow through a refugium

As part of my 125G upgrade, I am going to be adding a sump to the system. Drilled overflow will be done by LFS. It will be a 25 G long sump (16x12x30).
    Order of flow in sump will be input/skimmer->return->refugium.

Keith at MS has suggested that it would be a better idea to use a powerhead into the refugium from the return chamber rather than split the return flow. The volume of the refugium is only going to be about six gallons. I plan to grow macro and encourage critters to grow. I would also like it to be low enough flow to allow frags to attach if possible.

Total actual volume of the refugium is going to be about 6 gallons. My understanding is that 5-10x (or 30-60GPH) flow is the goal for a refugium. If I go the powerhead route, how do I go about rolling the flow back to such a low level?

Only idea I have right now is to put a T off the powerhead and split the flow from the return section to both the refugium and to the return - maybe controlled by a valve.

Anyone have any ideas?

A maxi jet 400 will only push 106 GPH wide open. With a couple inches of head pressure and some hose, you will be in the right ballpark. You could add a valve to the output to lower it further.

Teeing off the return pump to the refugium will work, but, you do have to check the flow once in a while. As the works gums up the flow will change. Not a big issue, but, Keith doesn't like this fiddling.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I wasn't thinking of teeing off the return pump. I was thinking that teeing off the maxijet so half the water went to the refugium and half just basically flowed back into the return section. I didn't realize that 8 inches of head would be a significant factor in the performance of a powerhead so perhaps I am worried about nothing...

I understand, I was just saying that teeing off your return line isn't that bad.

If you get a MaxiJet 400, it will stop pumping at slightly over 2' of head, so, yes, 8" would be significant.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

The RC head loss calculator isn't really designed for small pumps like this but, with an MJ400 and 8" of tubing (3/4" is the smallest diameter they allow), you get about 40 GPH. They show 0GPH with 1 foot of head. Based on this, I'd go with at least an MJ600.
    Nick

Well, I see that my plan to use a Maxijet 1200 to pump water from containers on the floor into the new tank is not going to work out :crap:

Neat calculator...

I wouldn't under-estimate those MJ1200's...they're really decent small pumps.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

On the calculator, at 5-6 feet of head, they report 0 GPH

Perhaps verification in the lab is in order, though...

I'm curious to know the results.
    I don't think I've used a MJ1200 at 5-6ft head, but definitely 3 when moving freshly made salt water from a 23gal container to my QT tank (total distance, about 7ft in length, but only 3ft head).
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

5-6' is too high for a MaxiJet 1200. You would either have to raise the bucket onto a 5' stool (what I did for that job), or pump into the sump (what I do more often).

I didn't realize the MaxiJet 400 was that weak against head, the MJ600 is probably the better bet with 8" of head.