Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I Remove This Support?

This is a shot of the front of the stand, there is a support in the front middle between the two doors.

This is a shot of the same support at the back on the stand, this is the one that I want to remove.

This is the close up shot of how it is helping to support the tank, if any. That piece of wood above ut runs from the front to the back but not weight is resting on it.

What I am trying to do is make room under the stand for a sump that I will be recieving very shortly. If it is not a good idea then I will have to move the tank forward about 3-4 inches.

Is that support going to make the stand fall apart?

Thanks for the help.

I have this stand in a 36Ē version. I wouldnít remove it myself; I wanted to so I could put a sump under the tank but I had to put it out side of the stand. When I looked into it more at a new stands at Alís itís stapled from the top as well. My assumption at this point I would think it is a center support for the stand.

My two cents..

Matt

By the way that it is put together that center brace is holding nothing. Thou I don't think I would take it apart just because i'm a worry wart I really don't see what bearing it would have on the structure of the stand except to get in your way when trying to put a sump in there :biggrinbo . Hope this helps. Note i'm not a structural engineer by any means. LOL Just someone that has built alot of stuff!!!LOL
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

So that is one Yes(kinda) and one No(kinda). Keep'em coming.

I also thought that the weight was being put at the ends and the centre one was just put there to match the one at the front so that the doors would have something to rest against.

J_T
    It should not be holding any weight. If anything, it looks like it is there to make sure the stand does not buckle outward. If the tank is sitting over the top of the two ends, you should be fine for weight transfer. If you take it out, I would put it back when you are done.

I say that the weight shouldn't be an issue from experience in the stands that I have built. They are completly open in the middle. Both front and back. The side hold all the weight. So, if 3/4" MDF (covered with lots of primer, and paint) can hold up 120 gallon tanks, I would say that you should be okay. Like I said though, I would put it back in.

If you are totally worried about weight, Just take water out of the tank (how much is up to you) pop the brace out, sump in, brace back in, water in tank, enjoy a beer!
    ____
    J_T
    I do Acrylic work

Ok, the problem with putting it back is that between the front and back brace there is only about 10" which is not enough, so I was hoping that I would be able to leave it out so that the back would be completely open.

J_T
    Okay, then if there will not be room to put it back, then I would beef up the top rail. From left to right with another board, or some angle iron.
    ____
    J_T
    I do Acrylic work

I have a somewhat similar stand, 72" long, and my personal suggestion would be:

- Temporarily remove as much water as possible.
    - Remove the brace.
    - Install the sump.
    - Re-install the brace, using wood glue and wood screws.

As mentionned earlier, it is staple nailed in place. Because of the construction method, it is there for a purpose. Remember, manufacturers always use the cheapest way to build things, so every part in the assembly serves a purpose. You remove that piece and you risk the chance of having your tank landing on your floor if not plain exploding, not to mention the flood that would follow.

The final decision is yours, but I know that I would not remove it, nor would I sleep well at night. :sleeping:

Cheers!
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Quote Originally Posted by Serge

As mentionned earlier, it is staple nailed in place. Because of the construction method, it is there for a purpose. Remember, manufacturers always use the cheapest way to build things, so every part in the assembly serves a purpose.
    I agree with Serge, this is there for a reason. I wouldn't remove either of them but instead move the stand out like you said. There are actually some advantages to haveing the tank sit a couple inches out from the wall, namely you can run plumbing up the back easier. What I have done is made a filler strip that fills the gap between tank and stand so it doesn't look like it is out of place.

I think we have the same stand, I've got the 4' long version though for my 90G.

Check from the top down next time you're at an Aquarium Services. I fear the primary reason for the post is that they stapled the the cross beam to it rather than toe nailing it into the the side of the bed.

If that's the case & you take it out, your bed is going to lose it's "rigidity" for lack of a better phrase & that's likely to be a problem.

But everything I've learned about carpentry has been the hard way, so there's a good chance I'm completely out to lunch on this.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast