Plumbing question

I'm trying to install the plumbing for a new 60G cube on a metal stand. It is drilled with internal overflow. I've got the drain working fine - it goes into the back part of a 20G sump under the tank. The return pump (a QuietOne 3000) is in the front section of the sump.

My problem is with the return line (which is coming over the back of the tank, not through bulkheads). I constructed a return using rigid 1" PVC. It is 'loose' (not connected to the stand or tank). As a result, it tends to move around when the pump turns on and is just generally unstable.

I'm looking for ideas about how to make the return line stable. Should I try and create a PVC 'holder' to place on the back edge of the tank? I considered buying a Reefrat (or similar unit) but, while that would work in this case, it wouldn't be a general solution (eg. if someone had multiple returns from something like an OM). Or are there some other methods which might work?.

Opinions from the expert DIYers would be appreciated. As would offers of on-site help :biglaugh2
    Nick

I have a similar situation in which I drilled a couple of small holes in the top plastic frame that I was able to loop a tie wrap around and fasten it to the pipe. Mind you I just did it for my water test and has not seen any steady action yet.

Is the pump secured at all in the sump? The less the return pump moves, the less movement you will get up top.. So maybe look at somehow securing the pump down, and/or just securing the return plumbing midway up to your stand or something with a U clamp.. I can't think of anything that would look nice to secure it at the top of the display tank..

The pump is just loose in the sump. How can you secure it to a glass sump?

The sump is currently oriented front-to-back. The return plumbing starts with the pump; goes up about 12"; takes a right angle and goes back about 24"; then takes another right angle and goes up about 24" to the tank edge. Given that the stand is metal, I'm not sure how I could attach a U-clamp to it.

I guess I could roate the sump so that it runs left to right at the back of the stand. That would reduce the horizontal tubing required and might make it more stable.
    Nick

Not sure if its recommended or not, but I don't see how it would hurt siliconing the pump to the bottem, its not really permanent.. Also, if you pre-drill, a few metal screws should go into your stand ok.. However, rudallls suggestions was good as well.

Colesy just inspired another idea. If you are going to paint the back side of your tank, you could then purchase a U bracket and fasten with a dabe of silicone. I think you really just want to keep the vertical pipe from moving from side to side.
    You mentioned you have a couple of 90 bends, I believe this takes a fair bit of steam out of your return pump. 45 bends would be better unless you have already glued it together. Not sure how well you can see, but if you have a look at some of my pictures, it may inspire something else. http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...00/ppuser/2340
    I should really get back to work!

Silicone. Why didn't I think of that

I agree about the 45 bends. Unfortunately, the geometry of the current layout precludes 45's. I may look at re-positioning the tank so I could use 45. I think I could end up with something like your set-up, rudall.
    Nick