Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Acrylic

Cutting Acrylic

What can i use to cut acrylic? I have an overflow box for the skimmer intake and the outflow falls into a second part of the box (with a hole on the bottom covered by a sponge so that the air wont get in the tank) Well the outflow section tends to overflow into the tank and i have tons of microbubles. I was to cut the notches on the overflow side deeper, so that i can raise the whole box up higher this way the right side wont overflow and the left side will still take in water. currently if my water lever drops by a half inch it does not overflow into the box anymore. so what can i use to cute the notches deeper? a regular knife? or do i need a special tool? and how do i do it?
    thanks.
    Albert
    My Photos

Harley is your man for this....he lives in acrylic....I think he prbably has an acylic house, car, pet, and maybe...oh never mind...hahahaha

I use a table saw with a fine blade. If it's thin I use a utility knife. Ask Harley though...he has the experience in this stuff.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

well harley? what do you say? or should i just ask you acrylic assistant? - he he. Mouse, you are a riot.
    Albert
    My Photos

Dremel tool

Are you going to do this with the tank running? If so BE VERY CAREFULL using power tools around SALT water .... If I had to do it I would use a high speed dremel or dremel type tool with a bit that is correct for plastics. Protect the tank with something or it may get a bunch of dust and or shaving in it. Make SMALL adjustments at a time and re- test flow rate each time. Good luck.
    Rob

i can take the box out before cutting it.
    i dont exactly have a dremel tool any houshold things i can use? i have a drill? can i just drill holes into it?
    Albert
    My Photos

Using a drill is risky. When the bit is just about through the other side they tend to grab and the plastic may CRACK. High speed tools reduce this risk. It's likey best to wait until Harley responds ... from what i see he's the man.

ok, then i'll wait. a knife would be good too if there is a way.
    Albert
    My Photos

also, is there a need for the notches in the overflow? why not just have the whole thing a little lower? i feel like it restricts water flow.
    Albert
    My Photos

ok, considering that i already had taken out the box, i decided to just figure it out myself (seems like harley is out partying tonight). I used the side of a drill bit to pretty much "sand-down" the holes so that they are deeper.
    Albert
    My Photos

Albert,

Go get yourself a Dremel kit, this will be one of the most versatile tools you'll ever own ...

Van impdaddy
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast