Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

eBay Diamond Hole Saws...

Hey,

Has anyone on here ever ordered/used these hole saws from eBay Hong Kong?

http://cgi.ebay.com/60mm-Diamond-coa...QQcmdZViewItem

Please let me know if you have and how many holes you can drill with one bit?

Thanks,
    Matt

I have no idea how long they last, I've only ever drilled my fuge.

My biggest concern is that the price is about the same as what I paid for the dremel bit I used to drill a 5G tank. Mamma taught me an offer that sounds too good to be true probably is.

Given what I've heard other people say they pay for these things, he's charging less that 1/6th the price. I'd want a good answer for "why" before proceding.

I'm told how long they last is as much luck as use. It could become "dull" after the first use, or the 50th. Using a dull (is that the right term?) bit breaks tanks.

YMMV... OSD & liv are both drilling waaaaay more than I. Hopefully they will chime in.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I have a couple of these. They are not top end quality. I noticed a significant change in the grit from only one hole in 1/4" glass. Glass, like many things, has hard spots and impurities, so, one hole might wear out a bit, where other glass or locations might last many holes.

If you are planning to drill 3-4 holes, I would get two bits. They should be able to manage 2-4 holes each, but, if you need 4 and you get 3 ...

There are better quality ones out there, but, expect to pay more like $50 to get them.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

thanks for the replies, i figured as much in terms of the quality, but then again, i could order approx. 10 to 1 of these over the high quality ones and get a ton of holes out of them.

quick question: ... for a 75G tank, would you guys drill the back or the bottom? what are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

thanks,
    matt

Do you know if the bottom is tempered or not? That tends to be the piece that is & you can't drill tempered glass. Other than that IMHO it depends on what's going to be easier for your set up.

A bottom hole will need a box & a stand pipe, a hole through the back may not need as much. Neither method is more "correct" than another, go with what's going to be easiest.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I will have to check if it is tempered or not... I would prefer to drill the bottom mainly for looks, but I drilled my 29g in the back and that worked well also...

decisions... decisions.

There are two other important considerations in locating holes. hole should not be located less than 1 diameter from edge and if in a corner DO NOT drill same distance from each edge one MUST be more than the other or the corner will break off

well instead i just decided to go buy a predrilled 90 gallon all-glass with mega-overflow. very nice tank for $239.99 + tax at Big Als. They are on sale.

Nice purchase, im thinking of maybe going with a 90G or bigger for my next tank.

Does it just have holes in the bottom for the overflow ?
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

it has two holes in the bottom within the overflow chamber...

then the overflow accessory kit is $90 for all the plumbing and durso standpipe etc...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast