Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

need to reseal a tank

well, it just never ends. i've tried to get the white milky stuff of the glass without any sucess. well, i was filling the tank saturday, to see if the milky stuff would show up with water in the tank, and lo & behold, there they were, several drops of water dripping under the tank.:bawling:

so my question is, can i peal the silicone on the inside of the tank and reseal it that way, or do i have to take the pieces of glass apart and reseal the panes of glass as well.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Hi Barry I have not had any issues with re-sealing my tank without taking the glass panes apart. I have done it 2 times now to remove discolored silicone.
    Rob

any tips? i can just cut the silicone away at the joint between panes and reseal?
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

yes

I use a razor blade but take care NOT to slice it between the contact points of the panes. I use one of those hand held razor holders like painters use to get paint off glass. you can get them at many hardware stores and they are cheap. be careful not to scratch the glass. I don't remove it from the top to the bottom .. which looks easiest. I use the blade side to side so to speak as the blade will be about 1 inch wide. you don't want scratches that far from the corners.
    Rob

Oh Barry, I sure hope you can get this tank resealed. So did the milky stuff show up when the tank was wet?
    Susan

yup the white milky film is still there. i tried a dremel polishing bit on it, and it came off, but the bit blurred the glass, so that option is out. i'm contemplating just ditching this tank and looking for antoher one. or resealing/testing and then sell it. i've made the new wall/stand integrated, but it's only a matter of removing 20 screws and i can disassemble the stand to accomidate a wider tank, but a max lenght of 4',so that's not a problem. just a sevre PITA.eeved: i think the search for another tank will begin.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Barry..

i have tried to reseal my old 90G a couple of times.. but it never seemed to work.. So i sold it and was talking to a Tank builder and he told me that to reseal a tank i would have to stip all the old Silicone out of the tank compleletly clean it with some sort of a acidtone? then reseal the whole tank, He said somthing about the new silcone not Curing right and sticking to the old stuff. !

Again, its somthing i was advised but never tried.. the problem i was having was the side Panels had split abit..so mine was much more than a couple of drops..
    Not sure..

Thanks
    mike

hmm, that's what i'm wondering. if i'd have to take all the silicone out. ie if i would have to take the panes of glass apart and reseal them.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Thats what i was told... now i tried to just reseal over the old stuff and it did not work.. Now i dont know why? But i was told you would have to remove it all..

I know for maxium support and if you have the time and know how i would do it that way now if i had my time over again!..

I mean i sold a leaky 90G for $50 and spend $300 on 100g.. When all i needed was a weekend and acouple of tubes of silicone and i would have saved abunch of money..

at least you got yourself 10 mor gallons
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast