Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

need help with new stand design

Hi everyone,

I have a 110 gal (48"x18"x30") tank presently on a homemade stand. I am very pleased with it except that I do not have enough room to house all that I need to in the stand. When I designed it was for a freshwater 75gal set up. I am hoping to make the stand about 66" long x 72" tall, enclose the 2 sides and incorporate the hood as one piece. Does anyone have any pictures or plans of a similar set up. I am hoping to have all my plumbing run a long the sides and nothing running behind the tank. I hope to incorporate a large door on each side and 2 more to access the bottom and one large door to access the tank. I am very use to woodworking and just need some ideas on the overall look. Does anyone have any advice.

GSM
    Here are a couple of shots of the one I just finished last month - similar concept but only one side door.

Made from oak with a cherry stain.

Let me know if you need shots of the frame etc. Plumbing runs over the side panel into the tank. Currently setup as FW until I can afford the SW setup.... my 20g will have to do for now.

Thank you for the photos they are really nice. You did a really nice job with that setup. I am hoping to make something pretty similar except that the other side will be covered as well. Could you please post pics of the frame work. Thank you for all your help.

Nice work!

liv
    I setup my inwall tank at 36" from floor to tank bottom.. this leaves me enough space to install a sump, and freely run my hands in it. i recommend you go this high.. I love having this height.. also helps with kids.. not as easily to tap on glass

GSM
    Thanks for the comments.

Here are some shots of the framework. More than happy to share any specific details if you have more questions.

The hardest part was squaring up the 2x4s - they can be pretty warped.

Cost for the frame (including wood, glue, nails etc): $100
    Cost for the skin (wood, stain, varnish): $300
    The wife letting me have a SW tank in the livingroom: Priceless

Thank you so much. That is perfect. I think I have a good idea of how to start. All that is left is to gather up all the materials and start working. :biggrinbo

My wife is priceless too. (110 gal reef in living room, 29gal salt in home office, 12gal nano reef at work and 45 gal fresh water in family room) :happy2:

GSM
    Anytime gaspare. Good luck with the stand.

Post some pics when you're done, I'd love to see it.

Cheers,

Greg

Stand finally done !

Here are a couple of pics of the tank (110 gal) and the new tank stand. It opens up on both sides for easy access and now also has a 45 gal sump/refugium. Special thanks to everyone who helped me out with the design. Also to my wife for not minding the price of materials. :speedbana

This stand replaces the one shown below, for sale in here: http://aquariacanada.com/Classifieds...p?product=1936

Very nice work.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast