Canadian Sources for Reflectors

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap 48" Reflector which holds 2 MH lamps and 2 T5's?

[welcome]

How do you define 'cheap'? You can buy 2x24" PFO reflectors for about $70 at J&L (http://www.jlaquatics.com). If you also needed the mogul sockets, that would add about $15. The store here at AC also sells these. With these, you could have 2xMH and the T5's. You can also get reflectors at Hydroponic stores.
    Nick

Thanks for the welcome and the tips. I found this forum and didn't realize that it was a store too. I'll check 'em out.

Quote Originally Posted by jim.thornton
    Does anyone know where I can get a cheap 48" Reflector which holds 2 MH lamps and 2 T5's?
    For T5's you want individual reflectors not a large common one. IceCap reflectors are one of the better SLR's and just snap onto the lamp.

I don't understand why you need SLR's for T5's... Would someone mind just explaining it to me. One person mentioned that it had to do with heat but I am putting 4x77 cfm fans in this 48" hood so heat shouldn't be an issue.

Is there a different reason??

Smile

you don't NEED individual reflectors but you'll lose a lot of light without them.
    the reflectors are bent a specific angles to get the most output possible by directing the light down to your tank.if you just stick them under the other reflector they won't be as efficient. also even though you'll have fans running, the lamps will be tucked up close to the MH lamps causing more heat. having said that I'm sure theres assembled units but there $$$$$$$$$$

I don't understand why you need SLR's for T5's... Would someone mind just explaining it to me.
    A T5 Lamp produces light around the entire diameter of the lamp. That means that only a small portion of the output is pointing down at the tank. An SLR is designed to reflect and focus the light down to the tank giving you much more light at the tank. A poorly designed reflector will reflect the light back into the bulb instead of to the tank.

Thanks for the explanations. That makes it much clearer now.

Does that mean VHO's shouldn't be put on the same reflector either??

Thanks for the explanations. That makes it much clearer now.

Does that mean VHO's shouldn't be put on the same reflector either??
    Many VHO's have an internal reflector. Those that don't probably would benefit from an SLR but I am not aware of those being available. The SLR's only came along with the T5's.

VHO can be added underneath a retro reflector like the PFO's there already predrilled for the endcaps.