another closed loop ???

I just purchased a mag 950 for a closed loop on my 75 gallon. I am planning on running a 3/4" pipe from the pump and making a loop around the top of the tank. My question is, do i need to put nipples on it or could I just drill a bunch of holes every inch or so around the entire loop. I am thinking about drilling the holes and offsetting them. ie... some facing upwards, downwards and in between. Any opinions or suggestions on this?

3/4" pipe may be too small in diameter for the pump outflow. I think the recommendation is to use at least 1.25" pipe from the pump to get full performance. For the manifold in the tank, you can step down in size.

Nipples vs holes might depend on your objectives. Having holes will give a lot of diffuse flow while a few nipples could give move concentrated flow.

Have you looked at the threads over on RC about Calfo's manifolds (see: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...eadid=520145)? He suggests using only a few 'nipple' type exits but also strongly suggests the need for a large pump to run the CL (300-400 GPH per nipple/outlet). I tried this with a Mag 950 and wasn't very satisfied with the results. I had 4-5 outlets (too many) and ended up with very diffuse flow which didn't seem to have much impact in the tank (a 75G). I ended up running the pump as a sump return through a single return Reef Rat and am much more satistfied with the results.
    Nick

so you think I should increase the size of the output to 1.25" pipe from 3/4" up until the manifold then maybe go down to 3/4 for the manifold. Then I could decrease the output from the manifold down to 1/2" maybe 4 or 6 times? Does that sound right? Do you think I could get away with 1" instead of 1.25"

By the way, there will be 0 head on the pump as it will be level or very very close to level with the top of the tank!

Quote Originally Posted by wayn496
    By the way, there will be 0 head on the pump as it will be level or very very close to level with the top of the tank!
    Head is also created by restricting the flow due to small pipe diameter, fittings, and elbows. Increasing the pipe diameter will minimize the restriction between the pump and your outputs. If I were you I would run 1" or 1.25" pipe all the way to the port and then use a threaded reducer down to your chozen nozzle size. I suggest threaded to allow you to change out the pump later if you want more flow and then being able to remove the reducer