Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maxijet Mods

Smile Maxijet Mods

has anyone order these mods and try'd them yet?
    www.mjmods.com
    looks cool

Johnny,

I did two of my maxi jets. Works really well. If you are near a hobby store though I would just do it yourself. Doing it through mjmods turns out to be more pricy. There was nothing available out here so I did it though them. You can easily make the shrouds yourself for next to nothing. The centering caps are worth getting and I had to getthe props as I could not find them elsewhere. I am using the carbon fiber rods and they are nearly silent. Thre needs to be a better solution for start up though.. the acrylic rod trick to get them started in the right direction works but can be a little noisy....

The flow is amazing....

Try it...
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

Smile

only step I'm missing is were to place the washer?? I ordered a kit to check it out and I'm reading the site diagram.

The washer is placed between the red nub on the end of the shaft and the magnet. It is not an absolute necessity but may make it spin easier ?quieter/longer life?

i've moded 4 of these now, 2 the old way and 2 the new way, very useful

i tried the mod but it is very noisy! "rattles" I think the carbon fibre rod I got was to small, but I am not sure. Does anyone else have this noise problem?

Mine rattled for the first day until it wore itself into a groove. Virtually silent now. Other than on start up. As quiet as a normal maxi-jet.

now, on the MJ site theres a link to a ''newer'' mod and theres the video. seems to me that the video is of the older mod and the newer mod looks way stronger. I order 2 kits and we'll see what happens. pretty cool nonetheless!!
    that much flow from a little powerhead is awsome.
    on a side note, from what I gather it doesn't seem recommended to run the MODDED JETS on any type of wavemaker so your back to the same old issue.
    I guess for random flow in large tanks you'll still need to spend big $$$$$$$$$ regardless. so it seems theres only a few ways to do this.

I haven't ordered any from mjmods but I made a bunch of them and have had one running for 3 weeks...just awesome. I converted two others yesterday but one of them makes are rattling noise so I'll take jonah's suggestion and let it run for a day or two and see if it quiets down. I plan on running 4 of them in my tank to add to the flow. They're pretty easy to make if you have a table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    I haven't ordered any from mjmods but I made a bunch of them and have had one running for 3 weeks...just awesome. I converted two others yesterday but one of them makes are rattling noise so I'll take jonah's suggestion and let it run for a day or two and see if it quiets down. I plan on running 4 of them in my tank to add to the flow. They're pretty easy to make if you have a table saw.
    if you used the carbon fiber rod it will wear down and should stop rubbing

i think i'm going to put mine on a wave maker, atleast the two medium flow ones i built, i'll be putting them on a natural wave device set on the slower speeds i would imagen

i've heard of others doing so with no problems

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast