Eurobracing a tank

So I am considering taking the glass from 2 tanks to make a larger custom tank to fit my space. It would be a modified hex shape (Similar to a pentagon with a flat front instead of a point) 24" wide 20" tall and 20"deep .

Now the two tanks I would use both have the 1 piece plastic brace (no center brace) and I was planning on bracing this new creation as well.

If I use glass bracing how does it work? Would I put a piece on the top of each side and but them into the next piece of bracing or do I need to overlap at the top??

If I created it out of acrylic using a 1/8" or 1/4" x 1" piece and just wrap the whole top bending around the tank would this be strong enough?

This tank will have a single MH so I don't want to put a center brace through it.

I would just take the black plastic trim and rewrap the top. thats a fairly ''small'' tank so is eurobracing even necessary.

What black trim are you suggesting? I have only seen the tanks with the premodled black plastic (like the tanks I would be using) and a black trim that is put on to "trim" the glass but doesn't provide any support, it is just decorative.

liv
    acrylic doesn't bind to glass.. silicone doesn't stick to it strong enough.
    i suggest you go with glass.. ~10mm would be more then acceptable and super strong.
    if you are handy man.. get some scraps from brown and Macfarlane and trim it yourself using a glass cutter. the euro bracing with glass with aquarium silicone will make your tank super strong.. way stronger then factory for sure. a 2" wide trim all around would be perfect in my mind. the bracing goes inside and around the tank.. like shown in this link:http://www.glasscages.com/prodpics/c...d-reeftank.jpg

and instead of cutting fancy 45deg angles in the corners.. simply overlap them.. this will make the bracing that much stronger..( thats how i did mine.. )

Smile

thats such a small tank, I wouldn't even bother with bracing IMO.I was just suggesting wrapping the blacktrim back around for looks.

Quote Originally Posted by liv
    acrylic doesn't bind to glass.. silicone doesn't stick to it strong enough.
    i suggest you go with glass.. ~10mm would be more then acceptable and super strong.
    if you are handy man.. get some scraps from brown and Macfarlane and trim it yourself using a glass cutter. the euro bracing with glass with aquarium silicone will make your tank super strong.. way stronger then factory for sure. a 2" wide trim all around would be perfect in my mind. the bracing goes inside and around the tank.. like shown in this link:http://www.glasscages.com/prodpics/c...d-reeftank.jpg

and instead of cutting fancy 45deg angles in the corners.. simply overlap them.. this will make the bracing that much stronger..( thats how i did mine.. )

I have an Acrylic overflow siliconed to my glass tank by the manufacturer. Is it not an issue for the overflow because the weight of the water is pushing it against the glass?
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

I was concerned about bracing since the 2 tanks I plan to 'merge' are both braced using the rigid plastic supports, not the decorative ones. Also since the pieces will not be at 90degs but actually more like 135deg I didn't figure it would get the same strength.

My acrylic idea was to actually wrap the entire tank with a 1" strip like a band clamp and then use attach an acrylic brace at the top.

The pic is not real clear but are the corner's butted and then a small 45deg piece under the joint?

Quote Originally Posted by swiseman
    I have an Acrylic overflow siliconed to my glass tank by the manufacturer. Is it not an issue for the overflow because the weight of the water is pushing it against the glass?

Correct. Overflows stay in place for because of the pressure, the acrylic is more of a sealant then an adhessive. If you have tried to put acrylic baffles in a glass sump you will find this is much less effective.