Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sound method of hanging a light horizontally from dry wall?

Hey , it appears that my roof is concrete ( i'm in an apartment) so drilling and using toggle bolts isnt an option

my other thought was to use something in the dry wall to hold two sturdy brackets that i can then use to hang my light with chains, any builders out there know of a sound way to do this? i'll assume the worst case and that my light wont line up with the studs in teh wall so i need to find a way to to mount 2 brackets into dry wall soundly to hold a fairly heavy light

bad idea if they arent gonna be in studs...

why not construct a rack or something to hold it?

ok i'm not a builder or anything... but if ur studs behind the dry wall aren't aligned with the where u want the light brackets are, you can nail a long piece of wood across the studs then you can mount ur light brackets on the wood beam anywhere u want to align with.
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

oh yea, but ud wanna use screws, nails are weak

yeah the board attached to the studs is an option, i think i'm going to try Tapcon concrete screws and put them up into the ceiling and hang it like that with chain and hooks

thanks for the replies!

It depends on how heavy the lights are. I suspended my 4' fixture from the ceiling, and missed the studs on both sides.

If you check the hardware store, all the drywall anchors usually have wieght ratings on the back. Take what they give with a grain of salt, but basically you divide the weight of your fixture by the number of hanging points & make sure this is well below the weight limit of the anchor.

Anchors typically have 2 ratings: One for a horizontal mount & one for a vertical mount.

It's much easier (IMHO) to fix drywall before moving out than it would be to fix concrete, but it's your call

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

If you use tapcons from the ceiling make sure you use the recommended drill size or they are useless.

I would agree with Boyohboy and put a large board across the wall and then mount brackets to the board and hank the lights from there. Using two large metal brackets will disperse the weight better then a couple of ttapcons in the ceiling.

Good luck either way, let's see pics when your done

I'm not convienced you need the board across the studs, you can get anchors rated for 80lbs. Even if you go with half that weight, 2 anchor points gives you 40lbs at each point.

Maybe I'm just not understanding construction, but doesn't that mean 50% load of the anchors would be 80lbs (total)? Is your fixture heavier than that?

A board will certainly work though.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    I'm not convienced you need the board across the studs, you can get anchors rated for 80lbs. Even if you go with half that weight, 2 anchor points gives you 40lbs at each point.

Maybe I'm just not understanding construction, but doesn't that mean 50% load of the anchors would be 80lbs (total)? Is your fixture heavier than that?

A board will certainly work though.

Cheers!
    I try to avoid drywall anchors whenever possible and especially for heavy items that are hanging over a few thousand dollars worth of saltwater/equipment.

Drywall anchors are meant to hang stuff that applies a vertical load close to the wall like a picture/mirror. In these instances there is not horizontal force attempting to pull the anchor from the wall.

Now if you put a 12"x12" angle bracket (like used for hanging baskets, etc) and then hang the light fixture from the end of that bracket by chains the load is being canterlevered from the wall. This changes the force from a verticall load to a horizontal load meaning the majority of the force is trying to pull the anchor from the holes.

Now the standard or even heavy duty anchor designs (that I have seen) only distribute the force in an area only slightly larger then the hole used to insert the anchor. Now if you have ever cut drywall you will know that it's strength comes from the paper layers on the outsite. When your drilling tears the paper around the hole the drywall is weakend and since the anchor puts all the force in this weakend area it can easily pull out with the load.

The toggle bolt anchors that are used to hang lights or items from the ceilngs will distrube the weight out over a much larger area making them much stronger but they are designed for a straight load from the ceiling and not in a wall.

Well that will conclude my ranting for today. My appologies for the long windedness (and spelling?).

No worries, thanks for the explaination... Lernt sumtin I did

I'm hanging straight down so I'm not particularily worried about my use of really honking big anchors.

A board across the studs is certainly not going to break the bank

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast