Thread: sump baffles

Question sump baffles

I was wondering if anyone could help. I'm trying to make a sump out of a 30g aquarium dimensions are L29", H15", and W12". I have a seaclone 100 protein skimmer that I want in the sump. The couple of questions I am wondering about is. 1 The skimmer when put in the sump does the water have to touch where the water comes out of the skimmer. 2 How tall does the baffle walls in the sump have to be and refugium wall. Another question this one is about a closed looped. I was wondering if I wanted to install on on my aquarium would I be able to put it over the top or does the pump have to be below the water line or could I keep it above. Just wondering if anyone could help it would be nice. Thanks..
    rayzzfish...

Quote Originally Posted by rayzzfish
    I was wondering if anyone could help. I'm trying to make a sump out of a 30g aquarium dimensions are L29", H15", and W12". I have a seaclone 100 protein skimmer that I want in the sump. The couple of questions I am wondering about is. 1 The skimmer when put in the sump does the water have to touch where the water comes out of the skimmer. 2 How tall does the baffle walls in the sump have to be and refugium wall. ...
    First thing before determining the height of the sump is to determine how much water will drain out of the display when power is off. If you loose 10g for example out of the display you need to calculate how many inches of hight that will translate into in the sump. Subtract this number from the overall height of the sump and this is the deapest any compartment can be.

The baffles that water travels under can go right to the top of the sump but I would keep them at least 1" below just incase you get some sort of plugged baffle the water will move to the pump and not let it run dry.

Quote Originally Posted by rayzzfish
    Another question this one is about a closed looped. I was wondering if I wanted to install on on my aquarium would I be able to put it over the top or does the pump have to be below the water line or could I keep it above. Just wondering if anyone could help it would be nice. Thanks..
    rayzzfish...
    I would say you want the pump below the water line so that it doesn't have to work to suck in the water, a sipon will naturally pull the water. Also in a power outage not sure if you would have to "prime" the pump to start it again if the pump is above the water.

Read this and you will learn LOTS.

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI