Thread: diy sump

diy sump

Hi,

im just working out a plan for a sump and etc... and i was advised to find out what size of piping should i use..

i plan to do a closed loop for my 16 gallon, with a 10 gal sump. going to be using maxi-jet 400 for all of my pumps...

can someone either give me link or tell me where i can find out sizing of pipes i need and size of holes i need to drill? thanks!

wait, a sump and a closed loop for ur 16?

where is the sump gonna be located? MJ400 wont have enough power to do dick all if the pump is placed below the tank, and its difficult to rig it as a closeloop...

i believe MJ powerheads have a 5/8" or 3/4" diameter...

Why would you want to waste time on money on a sump for that size of a tank?
    IMO.I would save the money and go for a bigger tanks when the time comes.
    I you need to do it.
    Rice is right.The MJ will not work.It wont have the strength to push the water up there.Why no go with a Mag or something along that line.You can always put a gate valve on it if there is too much flow.
    Instead of going with a closed loop,just T off the return on the pump.

Why put a sump on a 16 gallon? My answer is why not. A sump be it on a 300 gallon or a 10 gallon has the same benefit. Adding a sump won't cost nearly as much as buying a new system. I don't think the advise of waiting to buy a bigger tank applies to this situation. The addition of a sump (10-15 gallon in this case) should cost no more than 200$. This includes the price of the sump, plumbing and return pump. The added benefit on the system is well worth if if you ask me.

- Hide equipment
    - Greater water volume
    - Combined with fuge makes great haven for pods worms

I'd go with sump only and nevermind the closed loop. The return from the sump will give you plenty of flow in the tank. I think we've discussed this on MSN a bit not sure if you got that from our conversation or not

Anyways send me a message if you want to discuss this some more.

Steph

IMO a 10 gallon sump is a waste of time.Too many micro bubbles and where are you going to put the refuge?
    Sure it would work fine for hiding equipment,but thats about it.More water volume sure but I dont think it would be worth the time or money.
    But if you are going to.Make sure that you have enough time for the bubbles to dissapate before reaching the return pump or you will have problems in your main tank.

yeah im still reading up more on this ...

the more baffles = more time for micro bubbles to dissapate right?

thats another reason, i bought this nano protien skimmer.... it makes so many bubbles haha hoping to move it to sump so it doesn put that many bubbles in display..

I can personally say that with a 10G sump I have room for a small air stone skimmer, baffles, a 4-5 gallon fuge that is VERY busy with life and a return area. The fuge will also help stabilize the PH by running a reverse photo period.

No problems with micro bubbles at all. 3 baffles to the fuge area and another to the return area and they're all gone.

Speaking from personal experience I'd say go for it. It's a small investment and the benefits are great. You can't go wrong.