Thread: t5 end caps

t5 end caps

does any one know were to get t5 end caps (the not water pruf one $2-4 each)
    in ottawa :confused-

I don't use end caps for any of my fluorescent lamps.
    For NO's, just solder wiring to the pins using as little heat as possible without making a "cold" solder joint, and cover completely with silicon.
    For the T5's, purchase some "male, butt end connectors", remove the plastic over the round end, bend in the middle to 90 degree angle and solder a wire to the male, flat end. The other end of this wire will go to the ballast wires.
    Then push the round end onto the lamp pins and use the connector stripper/crimper to crimp the connector to the lamp pin.
    I actually prefer to cement the connector first to the pin with the liquid cement (conducts electricity) that comes in the automotive "rear defogger" repair kit. Then crimp the connector to the lamp pins while the cement is still wet, and again, after the cement has curred, cover the complete connection with silicon.
    I have holes drilled in my hoods just above the ends of the lamps, just large enough to be able to pull the wires through to the top side where they connect to the ballast wires. This also holds the lamps to the bottom of the hood by making sure the wires are bent flat to the top side of the hood before directing the wires to the ballast wires.

Ivan sells Icecap end caps which are meant for T5's. I recommend these as they are made for this purpose. I'm always hearing horror stories of hoods catching fire and insurance issues afterward. Well worth the investment and peace of mind as well when using the properly engineered endcaps!
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

ivan only has the ice cap ones i an looking for the ganeric ones that go for $2-4 each

Well as long as there is no contact with saltwater, the generic t-5 sockets can be found at any electrical wholesaler but they're not popular enuf yet to be at any hardware stores in my area! Damn mail order towns! Try looking for electrical wholesale outlets, I know the sell over the counter to just about anybody here!
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!