Thread: skimmer mod?

skimmer mod?

hi, I have a custom made skimmer made by scapers that was made fairly short in order to fit underneath a tank stand in sump. I'd like to modify it and go twice as tall for the main body which is large diameter pvc tubing. I'm thinking the adjustment tube\sleeve will need to be raised in proportion to the body..The skimmer used to have a rio pump on it but i've changed it to an ehime pump and works fairly decent but with the current height theres not much of a reaction zone from the venturi to the collection cup. Anyone ever extend the height of one of these units?

thanks

Any cance you could post a pic of it? There are so many different custom skimmers out there its almost impossible to make any suggestions without seeing it first.

hi, i'll try and get a pic of it..I know scapers in ottawa made allot of them back a few years ago and was just hoping to find someone out there that has or had one of these puppies and may have modified it..I really should invest in a newer skimmer at some point but this ol unit (now around 5-6 yrs) still works fairly decent. Just want to see if i can make it even better

thanks, Jeff

Smile

don't waste your time trying to upgrade that old skimmer LOL.
    sell the ehiem pump and pick up the CORALIFE SUPER SKIMMER220
    Its pleant for that tank and is a needlewheel type skimmer. $200 for a plug and play.

if I had your cash Johnny, i'd burn mine
    trying to improve an already "ok" skimmer is a cheap option for the present which better suits my current spending options..lol

In the future, maybe this spring i think i would try one of those models you suggested..Better yet, maybe i'll find someone selling one between now and then.

thanks, Jeff

Smile

I was just thinking that if you were buying the tube for extention,weldon, and modding you would be pretty close to a few bucks there.
    as far as the modding of the pump you could look up ''needle wheel'' or modding on RC to see if anyone might have something for that pump. I really don't think theres much you can do to that short, venturi skimmer to make it work better. its all about contact time and with a short skimmer what can you do? if you do in fact add another section [you'd better make sure it'll hold!] that will add contact time and better the skimmer already.
    with a refugium [you have] and that skimmer I think your just fine for a 90g tank

i hear ya john. Well if i can find a chunk of that size pvc piping i might giver a whirl. In the meantime i'll look around for another skimmer. I certainly don't have any probs with going for a used one. I'll be tearing down the little fuge soon as part of the re & re i'm in the process of doing right now. I think i will setup another fuge like tank off the main system at some point but opting out of the macro this time. Instead, a tank crammed with as much LR as i can afford, low light over it, and med to low flow going through. Fill it with hermits etc and let them keep the rock clean for me, and lit low to discourage algea growth. For this to work as i would like, i'll need a good skimmer.
    anyone out there building tank canopies? I need one for my 90 and my wood skills are aweful ..lol
    :hysterica