Closed Loop problem

Hello all,
    Here is my problem, after attending a MAST seminar last April 06 with Anthony Calfo as the speaker, I decided to follow Anthony's advice and make a closed loop system using his design as posted on the wetwebmedia.com site. I have just completed the project and I am a little saddened by the water flow achieved and wonder if a few modifications would help and be worthwhile doing. I have used a Sequence Reeflo Dart pump with the following plumbing: - 2" inlet pipe from tank to pump (Tank not drilled for CL so it is up and over tank method)(siphon effect) with two 1-1/2" strainers, Overall length of inlet pipe is seven feet(3.5' to first 90 degree bend then up 2' to 180 degree bend then down 1.5' to two 1-1/2" strainers tee-ed off of 2"), - 1-1/2" output pipe from pump to 1/2" outlet pipe on top of tank (28" of head with 180 degree bend to enter 1/2" pipe), - 1/2" pipe with eight loc-line valved outlets.

My first thought is to change the 1/2" outlet pipe to 1-1/2" and still use the 1/2 loc-line valved nozzles. Secondly, I would remove the 180 degree bend in the 1-1/2 output pipe and just use a 90 degree bend to attach it to the new tank top 1-1/2" output line.

I will try and post a drawing or picture.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I go off spending more time and money only to find that my efforts did not help a great deal.
    Mark
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Well, I didn't get any help or advice so I went ahead and made the modifications that I discussed and I have achieved very impressive results. I have changed all of the output pipe from 0.5" to 1.5" (except for the 0.5" Loc-line valve and nozzle) and also removed the 180 degree U trap at the connection from the pump output to the loop on top of the tank. The flow rate is now very good, in-fact, a little to good. I need to extend a few nozzles because they are to close to the surface and are creating a huge amount of turbulence and bubbles. I think that this is due to cavitation. I should have the 0.5" Loc-line extensions in today and I can work on this tonight during 24. Here are a few pics before and after. Sorry that the after pics are a little dark, I will post a few more when the MH's are on.
    Mark

BEFORE

[IMG][/IMG]

AFTER

[IMG][/IMG]
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

You may have noticed that I also removed the siphon break U on the output from the sump. This also increased the water turnover in the tank.

The 1.5" pipe will definately even out the flow between each output and as you've noticed, there's more flow coming from your pump.

Improves your flow quite a bit and the cost is minimal..got to love DIY.

Looks good. Just be carefull with the ABS pipe. I have read conflicting reports about it leaching out chemicals into the water. I decided to avoid it on my new setup since it is not rated for potable water I assumed there is some truth to the leaching and went with the 1.5" white PVC instead.

Thanks Shipwreck, I did due diligence before starting the project and I think it was a post by OSD that gave a link to an ABS website that indicated that all is fine for both leaching and pressure. I hope it is right and I appreciate the concern. Also, here is a better picture.
    Mark

Unless you have used ABS that has been burried for years and used for sewage or other chemical disposal, you should be fine.

ABS isn't pressure rated in the scale of PVC, especially schedule 80, but, it is sufficient for almost anything we do in a reef setup. I think I calculated that you could go up 2 floors with it.

The only warning with ABS is that it will break down with exposure to UV, so, you shouldn't let too much light directly from the MH hit it constantly.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I've never in my life seen a worn down or brittle piece of abs. the stuff is insanely tough and durable. I think it would take about 200 years before the mh light could have any weakening effect on it