Modification for power sweep

So almost all of us who've used the zoomed powersweep powerheads have concluded that they truly suck big time. Just like many other reefers, mine would work fine for the first 3 months, and then immediately stop sweeping. I thoroughly cleaned mine out to new condition, only to watch it sweep all the way to right, and not come back... So I had enough! I took it out, decided to rip this bad boy apart again. I noticed this is a poor design, a good chunk of waterflow is able to just pass over the sweep mechanism, (easily allowing the sweep motion to quit). An another note, this powerhead has a fairly large impeller, with a lot of restriction, starting from the intake, right down to the moment it leaves the powerhead...

I'm posting pictures of this modification I did afew days ago. This was on the larger 228 model, should work the same with the smaller models. To my total amazement, this powerhead is now dishing out anywhere between 800-1200 GPH. Not LPH. Gallons! Another nice thing about this, is that the powerhead is now extremely compact. About half the size of my seio 1100.

First thing I did was completely remove the whole powersweeping section of this powerhead altogether. (why keep it? it doesn't WORK!)
    I used a fine toothed hand saw, to do some of the big cutting, and any little cutting was done with a utility knife, with a good, sharp blade.
    I also cut out the screen bars from the intake right off(as I had this fancy larger screen intake laying around, that happens to fit nicely over the intake)This other screen I have (which you can see pictured in the first picture) allows for more flow to enter the powerhead, but still keeps my powerhead from sucking up fish and anemones. And this powerhead has a very strong suction after this mod.
    I also enlarged the opening over the secondary intake, to allow for more water flow to enter the impeller. This required me to also modify the flow adjustment knob to no longer play a role with this powerhead...
    One note of caution: you must be very careful when modifying this secondary intake, as this contains the plastic bracket that holds the lower end of the impeller shaft, you do not want to break this.
    I didn't enlarge the out take of this powerhead, but this can probably be done to give a more disperse flow, and might even increase the flow, yet again...

I pretty much used common sense with how to make this powerhead work more efficiently. Hopefully you can do the same instead of throwing these in the garbage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ijo
    Nice mod!! so many poeple get bruned when they buy these pumps. I can understand why... its super cool.(if they would work for any extended period of time).

What was it pusshing out in terms of GPH before the mod?

IJO

It's 270 gph for the 228 with a 23w draw. This is their biggest one.

ijo
    WOW... thats between 3 and 4 times stronger!! Great mod!!

Yah. I compared it by the pressure with my sieo 820 and 1100... It's a little tricky because they spray the water out with a higher volume, chubbier kind of a flow. And this one blasts it out a smaller opening. So it actually pushes harder threw the opening then the seio's. But doesn't push it out with as much volume the seio's because of the smaller opening. But it feels to be between 800-1100... WAY better then before!

I just tried to do the mod, but ended up just twisting the bottom piece off, taking out the powersweep and intake. mine is a PS30. It's got a wide spray but alot more power. Thank you

ijo
    Sounds interesting... could you post a few pics?

IJO