GSM

Drilling tempered Glass with Dremel video

Another video I thought you'd finding interesting.

Expected results. Enjoy.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=8uigdnhUsns

Cheers,

Greg

haha. Oh geeze, I thought this was going to be a (break)through with how it can actually be done.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

liv
    ya... i knew what was going to happen before watching..lol
    IT CAN'T BE DONE ! its sooooooo funny.

i've had soo many people in the past asking me to drill tempered glass...I'm sure some stuburn enough end up trying it themselfs and destroying their tanks. or people asking me to drill a tank while water is in it... ahh priceless.

oh, this makes me think, the "european" tanks sold at superPet ( the seamless ones ) are all tempered!

cool vid.

Sorry for hijacking youre thread, I have a 125G All glass aquarium and I'm not sure if it's tempered. I only want to drill on the back or maybe a side. The sticker says to not drill but I don't think it's all tempered.
    Thanks for you're input.
    55G CSS 3004, 2 Seio 620, 220WT5HO lighting, Yellow tang, yellow tail damsel, 2 clownfish, 1 shrimp, pulsing, soft corals.

liv
    use polarised glass or a polariser for a camera. if you see a pattern on the glass, its tempered. if your still not sure, contact the manufacturer.. they will tell you for sure.

I found the following from a drilling site. Various websites gives the same percentages that you have between a 5-10% chance of successfully drilling tempered glass.

"Tempered glass can be drilled, however, breakage may run as high as 80% to 90% depending upon the degree of temper in the glass. We do not recommend trying to drill tempered glass.

The manufacturing process of making tempered glass results in the glass having a large amount of stress between various portions of the glass. The stress points might look much like a piece of wood containing lots of "knots", however, there is no outward appearance to indicate the hidden stress. Highly tempered glass will often crack at the stress points near the hole. Since the amount of hidden stress increases with the degree of temper, the success rate of drilling tempered glass reduces with the increase in glass temper.

There is no way to know the amount of temper in a piece of tempered glass, so there is no way to evaluate the amount of risk involved in trying to drill it. Therefore, we DO NOT RECOMMEND attempting to drill tempered glass."
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

what about drilling tempermental glass...sometimes it is happy, sometimes it is sad...

ijo
    :011: lol that's a good one!!!

HA HA HA just when he thought he was gonna get through lol. Drilling regular glass is a chore enough I'd never go near tempered...mostly because I've already ruined one of my tanks trying to drill the back pane...I just lack the patience. good for a laugh. :b16:
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank