Thread: building a sump

building a sump

ok i came across some glass at work its 3/16 in thick. i wanted to build a sump to put in my stand. i know this glass is way too thin, but i had an idea to put 1/2 or 3/4 in plywood behind it for backing and also cross brace the stand with 2x4 for extra support. will this work? i know everything needs to be tight or the glass could crack/leak.should i maybe double up the glass?

thanks for all your help

Why bother with all that work. Just buy a new or even cheaper used tank that fits under your tank. You always have to weigh the time and expense of a diy job versus the return on that time. I have plenty of building skills including working with glass, and I wouldn't build a sump of glass except to say I could.
    Jason

i understand that it will be more work but it will be alot cheaper(more money for other things) the only thing that i will have to buy is the silicone. i will also be building my stand so i would like the sump to be as big as possible

on a side not to all this, If I was to put my sump under my tank I would have it as big as possible but also small enough to be able to get out. Just incase. Thats the way mine was before I moved my sump to the basement. just popped off the skin on my stand and I had full access to be able to remove it. Glad I did too.

Oh about the glass, i'm with Jaden on this one. I know it's not what you wanted to here but for the time and effort, i'd say wait the extra bit of time and get yourself a used tank that wil fit under there. Thats what i done until I got a great deal on a Lifereef sump.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Unless your tank is large. And I feel it probably isn't as it's for your daughter. A 35 or up to 50 gallon tnak will suffice. You can buy a 35 gal long for around $60.00. A used 50 maybe $50-75 depending on the seller and condition. Just not worth trying to get your wood cut exactly right for your glass. IF you had glass that was the right thickness, then maybe just to say you diod it. But otherwise you should spend the time more wisely. Like with your daughter buying cool stuff for the tank.
    Just my 2 cents. From an avid DIYer.
    Jason

liv
    I'd with a used tank for sure for that sized sump.. wait a bit, there is always someone desperately selling his in a garage sale or also I find stuff on usedottawa.com and this site as well. if it was any bigger, i'd say do it with Acrylic.. super strong, forgiving and a hell of alot easier to customise to your taste.

I had glass before, I now have acrylic.. never looked back. ( for sump only )
    To practice, you can get scrap pieces of acrylic at canus plastics or sometimes your hardware store.

Another option would be to use a simple rubbermaid container, or storage bin, and they come in many sizes and shapes. You can also use several for sections as well (skimmer/return/fuge)