Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Mesh

Plastic Mesh

Any ideas as to what I can use to keep fish from getting sucked into my drains. Right now I've got screens made out of egg crate, but the holes are not small enough. I need something "finer".

liv
    you could double the eggcrate by gluing a second layer at the 1/2 section.. so it would create 4 squares using one square.. works great

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

That would make it too thick.

liv
    how about the plastic screen used for windows ? ( moskito net )
    I've used this stuff before, it glues on perfectly using either the acrylic solvent or superglue.

liv
    just thought about this.. vail used in weddings or fishing nets.. the white stuff. they got different grid sizes.. i've seen some bigger then moskito nets.
    check out the textile places.. would be real cheap too i'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    you could double the eggcrate by gluing a second layer at the 1/2 section.. so it would create 4 squares using one square.. works great
    Here's one that I made out of eggcrate for the corner overflow on my new 90. It should give you an idea of what this might look like. This one is designed to sit on the rim of the tank and it stays in place very well. Basically it's 2 pieces of eggcrate overlapped, cut to shape, and with eggcrate material cut out to make a nice clean outside edge. I've also notched out some areas to fit the cap on the durso and the return line cleanly. As you can see it's fairly thick but in this case it fits perfectly, all depends on your tank I suppose.

You could do it without the overlap which will basically double the size of your holes, but the reason for these things is two fold. You want to keep big critters out of the overflow so they don't clog it, but also you want to keep your snails, small fish, etc from taking an unpleasant ride to the sump and possibly through the skimmer, return pump, etc.

Other than this I might suggest getting a piece of acrylic, cutting it to shape so it fits correctly and drilling many 1/4" holes in it. The more holes the better, if the teeth on your overflow clog for any reason you don't want this to clog as well. 1/4" acrylic should stay reasonably firm even with a bunch of holes drilled in it and if it's colored acrylic it'll help keep algae from growing in the overflow as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    just thought about this.. vail used in weddings or fishing nets.. the white stuff. they got different grid sizes.. i've seen some bigger then moskito nets.
    check out the textile places.. would be real cheap too i'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by samhain View Post
    Here's one that I made out of eggcrate for the corner overflow on my new 90. It should give you an idea of what this might look like. This one is designed to sit on the rim of the tank and it stays in place very well. Basically it's 2 pieces of eggcrate overlapped, cut to shape, and with eggcrate material cut out to make a nice clean outside edge. I've also notched out some areas to fit the cap on the durso and the return line cleanly. As you can see it's fairly thick but in this case it fits perfectly, all depends on your tank I suppose.

You could do it without the overlap which will basically double the size of your holes, but the reason for these things is two fold. You want to keep big critters out of the overflow so they don't clog it, but also you want to keep your snails, small fish, etc from taking an unpleasant ride to the sump and possibly through the skimmer, return pump, etc.

Other than this I might suggest getting a piece of acrylic, cutting it to shape so it fits correctly and drilling many 1/4" holes in it. The more holes the better, if the teeth on your overflow clog for any reason you don't want this to clog as well. 1/4" acrylic should stay reasonably firm even with a bunch of holes drilled in it and if it's colored acrylic it'll help keep algae from growing in the overflow as well.
    Nice work, but as I mentioned to Liv when he suggested overlapping egg crate, it will be too thick for my application. I need something with holes in the 5 mm range, thinner than 10 mm, fairly rigid (preferably not fabric) and preferably easy to cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Zookeeper View Post
    Nice work, but as I mentioned to Liv when he suggested overlapping egg crate, it will be too thick for my application. I need something with holes in the 5 mm range, thinner than 10 mm, fairly rigid (preferably not fabric) and preferably easy to cut.
    As I mentioned acrylic may be your best bet then. With your specs there you could even go 3/8" acrylic and still be OK. That's what about 9.5mm thick? As for sourcing 3/8" Home Depot and Rona don't usually carry anything bigger than 1/4" so check with Canus Plastics. They're likely to have a piece the size you'd need in their scrap bin.

Pick up some plastic gutter guard at any hardware store ... dirt cheap and works very well for these types of applications. I use it on my nori clips to keep my tang from making a mess of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plastic Mesh-gutters3.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast