Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diy skimmer

diy skimmer

i was just wondering what skimmer would be better for a 10g. an airstone skimmer http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/skimmer101.htm or a beckett http://ozreef.org/diy_plans/protein_...e_skimmer.html. i will probably upgrade later on, so id like to make it big enough, but i dont want to be over skimming. thanks for your help

ijo
    I would skip the skimmer if I had a 10 gallon nano(I don't even have one on my 26 wall aquarium)... with small tanks... water changes do just as good and cost pennies. Liverock in place of where the skimmer would sit along with carefull selection of the corals you plan to house(hardy, lower water quality needs) will go a long way

Skimmers are used to remove waste... water changes do the same. Now if your 10 gallon nano has a sump... I would more than likely add a skimmer as I wouldn't have to look at it(main reason for not having one is for looks.). If I had to choose between the 2 options above.. I would pick the airstone.. they are great skimmers for smaller setups... cost is very low.. super easy to build(just have to replace the stones every once in a while).. air pumps cost nothing and you shouldn't have any issues with micro bubbles entering your tank. HTH

IJO

liv
    i'd go air stone, but be ready to change those out from time to time as they rott, the air bubbles get bigger or completely blocked.. so its part of the maintenance.. but price is cheap. I still think it would be usefull to have one to add more oxygen to the water.. if not, your tank might benefit from fans blowing on the water, helps to cool it down ( if you have a problem with heat ) and at the same time, will evaporate more water and bring more oxygen.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

My first choice would be water changes on a tank that small, but you have remember to do them.

I would look at some of the needle wheel pumps instead of a beckett type skimmer. They are smaller and can be cheaper easier to build.

there will be a sump its about 10 gallons too. i wanted to go with the airstone, but i wasnt sure if would be good enough, but now i know. the skimmer wont be in the sump, but it will sit hidden behind the stand. i guess cuz i have the room i should build it as tall as possible? i was also wondering how to get the water to it, from the tank or from the sump?

liv
    well.. usually its easier to feed it from the sump.
    so use a mag pump ex: mag7 and its return send it back to the sump.
    if you have ample room, you should think about making one with a injector like a Kent injector. i think they cost about 20$ + the cost of a mag7. it would do super in a 20g system. prob with air stones i find is that they need to be taken down often. I also have experience with needle wheels and I find that they clog from time to time. I find injectors easier to clean.. pass a brush through it and some water through the air intake.

something like this:

or this:

the great part about your setup is that you can make it bigger then necessary so it can be reused on your next upgrade setup

where do i get the injector from?

liv
    most local vendors have them or can get them.
    post in the vendor section under looking for.

ijo
    I might also have one... would have to check

Where did these plans come from?

I have a DIY skimmer and I want to change it to a better one. Do you think that if i build one of these but large I can run it on a 55 gallon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast