Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Power consumption.

Howdy, aquarium folks.

There has been a LONG running and ferocious battle at our house about the amount of electricity that my tank uses. I'm currently running the following equipment:

- Outer Orbit 60" quad T5HO dual 250W HQI 18 LED lighting fixture
    - Little Giant main lift pump with replacement industrial 251 motor
    - TetraTec Deep Water DW24-2 air pump
    - MJ-1200 frag tank
    - MJ-1200 circulation
    - Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060
    - Hagen 802 power head (lift for 29 g)
    - 19 W CF on sump

I've been measuring the power consumption for these things one at a time. I thought it might be interesting to have actual readings on a spreadsheet. Thus far I've got:

T5HO (4 x 48") running 7.5 hours per day 0.22 kWh at 1.49 A
    250 HQI running 3 hours per day 0.93 kWh at 2.85 A (times two)

The main lift pump is running around .90 A right now so I suspect it is going to come in quite low.

These numbers mean that the T5s cost about $0.10 per day to run and the two HQIs cost about $0.06 per day each.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

ijo
    What are you using to test? where did you get it(where could I get one) and how much? I've had a debate with the wife many times as too how much things are costing us(chances are.. I am off by a huge margin!!)

IJO

I think all you would need is an amp meter like these http://www.techinstrument.com/acatal...FQGnPAod_gINgA They will tell you how many amps your pulling. Sorry don't have 25 posts yet so I can't post url's LOL

[edit by ijo]
    I made the link changes and will edit your user.

Canadian Tire has an energy meter (product #52-8851-2) for ~$25 that will read your voltage, current (amps), wattage, and total engery consumed in kilowatts per hour.
    You only do what you know because you don't know better.

Quote Originally Posted by NanoReefaholic View Post
    Canadian Tire has an energy meter (product #52-8851-2) for ~$25 that will read your voltage, current (amps), wattage, and total engery consumed in kilowatts per hour.
    I have one of these. It also allows you to put in your electric rate ($/KWH) and it shows the cost. So, for things like heaters that cycle on and off you can let it run for a day/week/month and take a reading.

It looks a lot like the Garrison timer CT carries and is usually nearby.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by NanoReefaholic View Post
    Yup. That's what I'm using. I got it yesterday.

Ok...so the main lift pump is running 24 hours per day .07 kWh at .91 A.

That means the main lift pump uses 1.68 kWh per day and costs about $0.10 to run.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

liv
    i've been meening to try this as well on my setup.
    the biggest culprit must be my lighting or my heating.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    i've been meening to try this as well on my setup.
    the biggest culprit must be my lighting or my heating.
    It's one of the enduring debates on the fringes of the marine aquarium hobby. I say "on the fringes because" those of us actually immersed in the hobby don't care how much electricity our tanks use. It's those one step removed, our wives, girlfriends, and husbands who seem to obsess about it.

I think I'm going to have a hard time adding my measurements up to $1.00 per day at the rate I'm going. I've got the meter on the Tunze right now and will read it when I get home.

Hank.

I'm pretty sure your Tunze won't add up to much either, even though it is 24/7. I'd expect .4 KWH per day or so.

I'd be interested to see how much your heater works (should try mine for a week and see). I would expect it to work harder in the winter, but, really not hard at all.

If you had to use a chiller, I could see the $s racking up. Also if you ran multiple MH for 10-12 hours a day (which would also increase you need for a chiller).

I'm a little confused though, you show 0.91 Amps (I assume at 120 VAC) as 70 watts (or 0.070 KWH). It should be 109 Watts for 0.91 Amps. Similarly for the other measurements. Are the KWH and Amps from the meter? Is it possible that the draw wasn't consistent?
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by cres View Post
    I'm pretty sure your Tunze won't add up to much either, even though it is 24/7. I'd expect .4 KWH per day or so.
    Good guess. Mine ended up being around 0.48 kWh but I rounded up the hourly calculation.

I'd be interested to see how much your heater works (should try mine for a week and see). I would expect it to work harder in the winter, but, really not hard at all.
    I don't think it is going to be much. My sump is sitting on the radiant floor and my wet room gets ungodly hot when the lights are on. Once I get everything else measured I'll hook it up to the heater and see what it does.

I'm a little confused though, you show 0.91 Amps (I assume at 120 VAC) as 70 watts (or 0.070 KWH). It should be 109 Watts for 0.91 Amps. Similarly for the other measurements. Are the KWH and Amps from the meter? Is it possible that the draw wasn't consistent?
    The draw from each item has not been consistant. It varies over the course of the measurement period as does the voltage coming in from the line. We're in a rural area so we figure we're luck to get 90 V coming down the line most of the time.

Hank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast