Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Over flow ideas for 90 gallon undrilled tank

here is the scoop, and I am hoping you guys with years of exp, got something for this.

I am getting my 90 gal in 2 weeks (already paid for and ready to ship to the island)

Now I have my current tank which is a 40 gal and I want to turn it into a sump. Im just going to put about 4 inches of live sand *DEEP SAND BED* in from the bottom in there and hope that filters the water enough.

Now I will have a protein skimmer in the sump as well. (my 150 gal seaclone *sucks I know but it's what i got).

I need to figure out how to make an overflow box that I can put in the tank.

I have two penguin 1140's for pumps (unless someone can suggest something different). These I will use for this project.
    The overflow will be displacing the water into the sump by either gravity (suction from the hose, sorta like when you syphon your gas) and then pump the water from the sump back into the tank.
    *this way I can't see a huge water spill, becuase if the syphon fails, it won't fill the sump anymore, and because the penguin pump is only so far under the water, i will only fill the tank so much.

Or I can use the second pump to suck and the first pump to push the water back into the tank.

So I guess the question is. Is there an overflow box I can buy, or a DIY way to make this overflow box.

And lastly...will this project work?! LOL

Thanks for any imput.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

The simplest, cheapest and most reliable method will be to drill the tank. I know mops.ca carries the drill bits and they are inexpensive. I have drilled many holes and it is very easy to do if you take your time.

The problem with the your two concepts is that both can easily result in overflowing a tank onto the floor. With the first idea you would minimize the amount of water in the event of a siphon loss but you would still pump all of the water between the normal level and the pump to the main tank and possibly the floor.

Your second idea of using a pump at the top is the better method but a slightly modified version. Instead of pumping the water to the sump a second pump can be used in the overflow to restart the siphon after a power outage. The problem with this method comes if the siphon starting pump does not start, and again you pump the sump water into the display and overflow it.

The other problem inherint to these types of overflow is ballancing the flows. You need to use valves to either restrict the return pump flow or siphon flow so that they are exact. If they are slightly imballanced then you will either slowly overflow the display as you pump more then you drain or you will drain more then your pumping and loose the siphon.

Personally with a new tank setup I wouldn't even consider a hang on overflow as an option.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

your asking for huge trouble doing it that way. as stated, drilling is the BEST way to do it, the PENGIUN? pumps will probaly not be able to pump straight up to the tank anyways and will more than likley burn out.
    if you do not have auto topoff your sump will more than likely drop to low once you forget to fill it up.
    you could order a good antistop overflow but there $$$ and a good long overflow skims the surface of the tank better anyways. can you get the company to predrill your tank before shipping it?
    I've drilled over 10 holes in my tank and its no big deal.

hmm drilling. I was afraid you guys were going to say that.

Already ordered the tank, and it's on it's way. No way to predrill it now.
    And I don't want to drill it myself.

well, there is always that aquaripure idea. I think I might just go with that then.

Thanks for the imput.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

i agree with these guys, the safest way is to drill the tank. see if you can get them to drill it for you before they ship it if you are not sure of your abilities.

if you do need to go over the top, a weir with a self priming power head will work and should help to prevent any overflows. i think it was on melevs site that i saw a really good design, using a MJ's air intake to remove any air from the weir and prevent an airlock if a power outage occurs.

i went and found the page on marc's site.

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/overflow.html
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Are there any glass supply shops on the island? They should be able to do it for about $30. Just make sure that you have the bulk head fitting first so you can measure for the correct hole size. I would aim for a 1.5" bulkhead on a 90g.

some people do not use a sump. its not 100% needed. I ran a 65g with no sump and it worked fine,but,, this is were low low bioload come into play.
    I would honestly learn to drill the tank. you can either bring it some were to get it drilled [there has to be places there] and buy the bulkhead fittings first because there hole size are not all the same. you can also easily make a box with teeth for your overflow chamber. some have used ABS plumbing pieces for this. I'm no big fan of hangon overflows. something can/will eventually go wrong. also, drill 2!!! not 1 hole this to me is super important.

Thanks for the info, and thanks to the poster with the wier thing. that was sorta was I was thinking.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

I have a 55G reef tank and Im using a hang on overflow. Its called a quiet flow. I bought it of Ebay. It works great!!! I've had no problems 2 years running. For a pump Id go with a mag 7. I will be drilling my next tank so if you can do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Over flow ideas for 90 gallon undrilled tank-picture-145.jpg   Over flow ideas for 90 gallon undrilled tank-picture-175.jpg  

You can see the overflow in the first pic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast