liv

diy plyers anyone ??

long story short: I have to move stuff in the tank from time to time, arms are not long enough to reach the bottom, yet absolutely love the depth.

so, i thought i should try to make my own DIY plyers to grab stuff.
    I'm thinking a 3 teeth setup ( 2 on one side and 1 on the other ) like wood stove log plyers. I was thinking pvc rods as they are pretty stiff and very easy to work with.

anybody attempted this already, what are your thoughts ? what would you improve. Im thinking i'll have to make a tiny/light version to move corals and a heavy duty one to move rocks.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ive seen some extension grabbers that you can use but only 2 pinchers so its not as stable as 3 would be but for a dollar at dollar store

liv
    i need them to be at least 36" long.
    ya i've seen those too.
    I also tried the kent ones.. in my mind not worth a cent.
    i'll be experimenting .. i'll post my diy if its a success.

You could get one of those arcade "Claw" games and use the joystick to grab and drop the rock. :-D

You'd want to be sure that you could "pistol grip" it, so you have good control over the orientation of the rock. Ideally you could rotate in any direction, but, that would require a much more sophisticated mechanism.

I have a fairly heavy set of pinchers that work okay, but, don't completely hold the rock. I think the three jaw idea is better and would suggest you add sharp pointy tips (maybe sharp stainless rods) to really grab the rock well.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

liv
    hmmmm.. thanks.. thats the kind of input I need

remote controlled arm would be sweet.. and possibly not all that complicated.. could be a fun to try.. but realistically, ya.. 3 claws.. could go stainless on the fingers and setup an insert into a pvc handle.

more food for thought.

thx!

2frosty4u
    Why not pick up a set of these from mops.ca :
    http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart....a8b+1193452936
    I bought a set and I'm really happy with them. I tried the kent one once, and threw it away...lol