Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tank design

tank design

hey everyone, ive been reading/searching posts for the last few months and since im gonna start spending, i should start asking questions.

i have a design for a tank but i just wanted to make sure it will work.

it will be a hexagon shaped tank but with the front and back glass will stick out an extra 2". Then i was going to attach some glass to bottom 3 sides to close it in. The 1 in the middle will be drilled for drainage. Now i can overflow my tank to the sump, or will this possibly cause problems?

sorry about the pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

liv
    I see no real trouble with a drilled Hex.. but I didn't understand your drawing that much. one thing to keep in mind with hex is that seams are harder to keep clean.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

it would probably be easier ( and a lot cheaper ) to have a normal hex drilled than have a custom tank made. you could then just install an overflow and your all set.

oh yeah, almost forgot

to Aquaria Canada
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    he he.. ya welcome to aquaria !

I know this is a taste thing more then anything.. but why not go with a cube instead ? I've seen some pretty amazing cubes out there. Our friend Dark from this board has a pretty sweet cube in his living room.

If you are going to build a tank, cubes are easier and look real good too. and not as hard to clean. also, depending on the size, look for ironfree glass like starphire or such. I have a starphire cube thats not setup yet.. its soooo clear its like its not even there.

i'm a fan of the cube too. they have a better viewing area, the hex tank has to many seams and distorts the view with different angles. i'm not trying to talk you out of what you want, just suggesting stuff.

a new member has started a thread with some pics of his new 8g cube, nice looking tank.

http://www.aquariacanada.com/forums/...ad.php?t=12280

and keep asking questions, this hobby can get expensive and it's better to do it right the first time.
    `

My Gallery

Ya the Cube is pretty neat, if you go that way I have a solution to had a pump in it without putting it directly in the tank which does not look natural at all!! But it is all your choice, what ever you decide if you have a problem it is most certain that some one here will have the solution! Keep us posted and good luck.

btw Welcome to aquaria canada!

Seb

ok, first of all thank you for the greeting and the replys.

i know my drawing is pretty crappy but ill try to explain it.

the smaller hex is the tank
    the larger hex is the front and back glass
    the red is where i want to put glass between the front and back glass to close it off
    hopefully this helps abit

about cleaning the seams

i plan on either putting it in a wall with trim or build a diy stand and have the finished wood hide the seam, overflow and bulkheads, so i wont have worry about scrubing it clean

i also like the look of the cube but i think with the hex i will be able to do some nice aquascaping
    Attached Images Attached Images

liv
    ok I see where you are going with this.
    looks like a really cool project.
    post some pics of your progress as it goes along

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    ok I see where you are going with this.
    i'm so confused ..................

ahhhh, i think i see what you mean. i was looking at it from above but we are looking directly at the view you will see from the room. the tank continuously overflows and runs down the glass to the drain then to the sump. i have seen a vid of a continuously overflowing tank on the internet, the top water is crystal clear.

have you spoken with a tank builder yet? the angled cut glass were the sides met the bottom may be problem but i really don't know. i think going and seeing a builder would be the best step to take next, see if they think it is possible and how much $$$$$ ask about the low iron ( starphire ) glass as liv mentioned, you would only need it for the front glass and it is so beautiful.

definitely a cool idea, please keep us updated with any progress you make :b16:
    `

My Gallery

good news bad news

i wanted to make the tank 30in tall but after calculating the dimensions, for it to be near perfect hex shape, the widest part will be upwards of 52in.

this is a no go for my wife because she would like to have it where people can see it and not downstairs. grrrrrrrrrr i dont have the room for that big of a tank. So i thought about it abit and with the aspect that we could be moving within a couple years, i decided it might not be the best idea. so i have decided to go with the design but make it a nano.

the good news is that someone at my work has a hex shape tank that i am looking for. he says it holds almost 10 gal but the back is cracked. he said it was used for freshwater fish before, until his wife decided to clean the glass with cleaner.

so my idea is to remove the back glass and replace it with a piece starphire. can anyone recommend where to get it?

when i take the glass off i would like to give a good cleaning, will i have to worry about the old silicone leaching anything into my tank? and if so, what can i do...remove some or all of it or just cover it?

thank you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast