How will this work?

I picked this up tonight from a friend. It is a hand made protein skimmer that came from marinescape back in the day. Wondering how this works. It has a mag 7 pump driving it. I am wondering how many gallons this would be rated for or how do I tell? It was on a 90 gallon with 30 gallon sump.
    Next question is, there is a tube and a piece of velgrow that is seperate. I believe you put this on the vent to adjust the skimmate. Am I right to assume this. Also, I am going to be putting a 20 gallon sump on my tank, would this skimmer be any better than my tunze 9002?
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

I have a HOT version of one of these running my 55 gallon at work. I've been using it for roughly 7 years. What you describe is pretty much it, but if you are unsure, take it into MS, they will tell you what to do with it. Wouldn't the tube be for the venturi?

A couple of tips. Soak that thing in 50% vinigar 50% water for a couple of days and it will clean right up. Also, modify the intake somehow to add a gate or a ball valve (gate is better) so that you can control the flow going into the skimmer. Makes a world of difference.

liv
    You can't really tell how much its rated for but it should do ok on a 55g.
    as for the tube connected to the injector, I would say the velcro is to simply keep the tube up in the air and possibly away at the back to cancel some of the noise created by the injector. also the tube is useful when cleaning the injector, as you can get it to suck a bit of water from time to time.

as for vs the tunze 9002, I have no experience with the 9002.. but i'd say yes that the marinescape one probebly skims much more.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

liv
    reading Zookeeper's note, absolutely, dip that thing in vinegar for a day or 2 and it will come out looking much much better and possibly work much better as well.
    get a gate valve, they are much better then ball valves.

with a few tweaks, they work great.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

you did get a collection cup with it I presume? They were usually clear acrylic.
    The small piece of piping (coupler) slides up and down on the output tube to adjust the height of the water inside the column which controls if the skimate will pour out like crazy (wet skimming) or sliding it lower on the output pipe (dryer skimate). These usually came with a rio2500 pump which most replaced with something equivalent or larger. I still run one of these for now on a 90 and it does ok. I changed my pump on it way back to a much bigger pump probably twice the rio2500 and it does pretty decent. On a smaller tank then a 90 it will perform pretty good compared to other low-mid end skimmers. At least every 2 months max I recommend a cleaning and 50\50 vin\water overnite soak. Running this on my 90 is buying me time to do other things before i replace it at some point to a better unit. After a good cleaning the performace almost doubles after 2 months have gone by.

hth

BWI
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    you did get a collection cup with it I presume? They were usually clear acrylic.
    The small piece of piping (coupler) slides up and down on the output tube to adjust the height of the water inside the column which controls if the skimate will pour out like crazy (wet skimming) or sliding it lower on the output pipe (dryer skimate). These usually came with a rio2500 pump which most replaced with something equivalent or larger. I still run one of these for now on a 90 and it does ok. I changed my pump on it way back to a much bigger pump probably twice the rio2500 and it does pretty decent. On a smaller tank then a 90 it will perform pretty good compared to other low-mid end skimmers. At least every 2 months max I recommend a cleaning and 50\50 vin\water overnite soak. Running this on my 90 is buying me time to do other things before i replace it at some point to a better unit. After a good cleaning the performace almost doubles after 2 months have gone by.

hth
    yea does kinda look like it needs a collection cup, the foam comes up but then what?

Building Quality not Quantity

It wasn't in the picture but yes it does have a collection cup. Thanks for the help in explaining what the coupling was for.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

ijo
    I've had one of these before and don't let the simple construction fool you... its a great skimmer!!

IJO

I run one of these on my 120g in a 40g sump. Have been using it for about 3 years, no problem. The only thing I don't like is that the collection cup is kinda of hard to remove, it fits to tight in the skimmer. I would try a new skimmer but would be dissapointed to shell out lots of cash and not have a better skimmer.