20 gallon canopy lighting suggestions

hi, i'm looking at suggestions for lighting (prefer diy \ retro) for a 20 gallon canopy. This 20 gal is going to be used for sw nano with mostly zoanthids and possibly other softies.
    I'm leaning to diy 4 x 22" t5 24w bulbs using something like a workhorse ballast. Anyone put this setup together in a small canopy? I think a wh5 should do this for me. I also have a ballast for a 70w mh hqi and also thinking about putting the 70w hqi in the center of the canopy and then going with only 2 x 24w t5's one on either side of the 70w mh.

I've also got a dual 55w pc retro here that fits in the canopy along with ballasts
    and endcaps for 3-4 reg 20w t12's 2ft.

I also have an icecap 660 that is currently only running 2 x 4' vho's so i could run 2 or 4 2ft vho's in the canopy.

I'm not interested in running a larger mh then a 70w that i have a eballast for now (no bulb\socket yet) if I run mh on this tank at all. I'm already running 720w over another tank so i want to keep the lighting-hydro usage on this nano low. Bulb replacement cost\frequency is a concern also and is why i'm leaning away from my already bought and paid for pc retro i have here.

Selling all this gear i currently have, scraping the canopy and investing in a actual t5ho fixture may be the best option but looking for suggestions

Thanks and Happy New Year

that's a lot of options :b13:

is it a 20L or a 20H? ( what are the dimensions )

i like the shimmer from MH's but there may be to much heat and evaporation on a 20G. but if it were my choice i would do the combination of MH and T5's, depending on the area available in the canopy.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

hi, the tank will be 24" wide. So either a normal 20 gal or a 25 tall both of which are 24"wide. Not sure if the 70w halide will cause me much heat issues. Having many options makes it tough to choose.

Jeff

with either the MH's or the T5's your probably going to have to vent the hood, how much room do have inside??
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

the canopy is standard measurements for a 20 gallon but does have some height. Probably around 6-8" tall above the tank's top trim. I think i'll end up going with t5's.

ijo
    A 70 watt MH with 2xT5 HO actinics would be great... throw in a small fan to vent out the hot air and I'm sure you'll be fine. Make sure you are using individual reflectors for you T5... they make a huge difference in the amount of light entering the tank.

IJO

i'm thinking that would be the perfect lighting combo as well. Do you think a wh3 would be good enough for 2 x 22" t5ho or maybe a wh5? I still need to find myself 70w bulb and socket. For the bulb its looking like ebay for one at a decent price, and probably a 500w halogen work light conversion for the socket and reflector.

ijo
    I have both the socket and 70 watt lamp if your interested(its 10k). A WH3 will fire 2x T5HO lamps(Marinescape stock the ARC T5 lamps($10 each)... not sure if any of our sponsors carry the ballast... you could try Patrick from Ottawa Inverts). HTH

IJO

Hi and good afternoon

I have a 20 gallon tank with 175 watt MH 11K CoralVue Bulb in a pfo reflector and a barewire ballest that has been running for 1.5 years and I have had very minimal heat spikes and water loss I have built the canopy with a bit of a gap betwen the tank and the bulb and it seems to be working great.

Hope this helps with your ideas
    work in process:
    90 g main- with internal coast 2 coast overflow
    90 g sump- 3 chamber style reef octopus dnw 150 Ocean Runner 6500 return pump
    150lbs of LR Total
    paired clowns,SM Yellow Tang,SM 6 Line Wrasse and a Royal Gamma. With a few snails and hermits more to come soon.

thanks very much!