DIY Tank - As scary as I think it is?

Have been trying to find a tank but I live in the sticks and shipping is expensive.
    I have found several sites that have DIY tank instructions but I am freaked out about this.. anyone have any warm fuzzy stories to help ease my fears?

I have built my own 40g hex back/flat front tank and am somewhat happy with the outcome. It does hold water and doesn't bow, but the finish of the silicone was certainly not as precise as a professional tank. With this as my first DIY tank I don't think I would attempt this again on a larger tank. I sleep better knowing my 120 tank will not burst.

The key to DIY tank is to get the right silicone, not the Hardware store type. It has a better adhesive and is stronger when dried. I will see if I still have a tube when I get home.

The advantage to purchasing a pre-made tank is that the manufacturer will provide a warranty on the tank. Now usually you have to put it onto one of their stands for this warranty to be fully effective. I have read of Miracles arranging for emergency replacement tanks when one of their tanks failed.

When you consider the overall costs of setting up the tank, all the equipment and the cost of the livestock the cost of the tank will be minimal in the overall picture.

You might be best off to talk to one of those TO stores about purchasing all your equipment from a single store at one time and having a container shipped up all at once to minimize the shipping costs.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Thanks for the insight Rob. I certainly don't want any seal failures and I would worry for sure.

It is pretty easy to do, I once build a tank with glass I found lying outside in a field, I had it cut and made my own 30G tank ... it lasted about two years and one day I bumbed into it with a metal spoon and it cracked a few hours later

liv
    I built one too.. depending on the size, things get alot more complicated with the weight. cuts need to be bang on, and silicone must be set properly. my tank gave me quite a few sleepless nights thinking it would suddently let go.. it now has had water in it for a year.. nothing wrong. I do have ugly silicone sides.. but we do not see it anymore with all the coraline.

I believe you want to go big.. like 150g or more. at that size.. a store bought one should normally be much cheaper.. but because of your location, thats different. if you plan on using regular glass from a local shop, make sure they cut the edges, and not snap the edges. I had lots of trouble with that and I had to recut my own edges ( took me weeks to get it just right )

so, if you can get a supply of glass that garanty the cuts are bang on, then do some research on the dimensions, the bracing and jump on it.

look at it this way, I only had about 2 years experience when I started building my 400g.. so its definitely doable. You will also enjoy all that much more ( if you love DIY like I do ). you can be proud of your one of a kind creation.

Cheers and let us know what you decide. post some specs and we can comment on it and tell you our thoughts.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Thanks for the input everyone!
    Being a greenhorn, I think for my first tank I will buy and practice my DIY skills on the stand, plumbing and possibly lighting.
    Once I get my first tank all set up perhaps I'll start collecting the parts for my larger DIY tank
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

liv
    absolutely.. makes sence.. you will also more then likely change the specs of your DIY tank ( from the experience of having a standard sized one )

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Wink

very doable but,,, for a tank like the 105g you were interested in I'd just buy one if you could. by the time you pick up and pay for you cut/beveled glass
    and drilled holes you could probaly buy one for the same of less. and you wouldn't have to worry if you made any slight errors.
    it is very doable though. I built my 500g and that probaly gave LIV the confidence to build his own