Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

overflow box question

thinking about putting a small overflow box on a 24" wide 25g tall tank. Was originally just going to go with some abs fittings instead but thinking maybe a box instead. Do you think its possible to put a small enough overflow box on this size of tank? Also wondering what size of hole could be drilled in behind a small box.

comments or ideas?

thanks,

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    thinking about putting a small overflow box on a 24" wide 25g tall tank. Was originally just going to go with some abs fittings instead but thinking maybe a box instead. Do you think its possible to put a small enough overflow box on this size of tank? Also wondering what size of hole could be drilled in behind a small box.
    would you be able to make the overflow box??

i don't think it would be a problem at all. if i were doing it i would make one from 1/4" acrylic and make it really wide so the it skimmed the surface really well. but if you worried about the space, doing it with the fittings ( i don't like ABS ) would work fine, i would suggest using 1 1/2" just for piece of mind. if you went with 1" a single snail could potentially plug it and cause and overflow.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

ijo
    I've built a couple overflow boxes for the wall aquarium... it's not that tough. I purchased the acrylic(cut to size) from Rona and then went over to liv's to put it together(he had some weldon left over from another project).

I also have something you migh be interested in... it was a custom overflow box built for a 90 gallon tank... its more like a wedge instead of a box... I'll try to snap a picture later on today for you.

IJO

thanks guys. Whatever i do with will need to be pretty compact due to the tanks size.

BWI

comments or ideas?

thanks,

Jeff

I suggest not using ABS, ABS is made for waste water not potable water. Leaving u the chance that over time it will start to leach chemicals into your system causing you many problems and evenually killing everything! PVC or any food grade safe pipe is the 100% way to go. Saving your tank and time in the long run

Building Quality not Quantity

I'm going to go with a small overflow box. The idea of a coast to coast overflow appeals to me but unsure how feasible it is to use this type on a 24" wide tank. Probably just a standard small box in one corner will be the way i'll end up going. I guess the first thing to be done is to have the box made. Then bring it to be drilled with the box to help determine the hole size and location on back panel.

I'm going to go with a small overflow box. The idea of a coast to coast overflow appeals to me but unsure how feasible it is to use this type on a 24" wide tank. Probably just a standard small box in one corner will be the way i'll end up going. I guess the first thing to be done is to have the box made. Then bring the tank to be drilled with the box to help determine the hole size and location on the tanks back panel.

sounds like a plan, are you going to make the box or try to find a small one?
    `

My Gallery

i think i'll get Gord to buikd it. Just not sure what size to make it for a 25gal.

i think i'll get Gord to buikd it. Just not sure what size to make it for a 25gal.
    that depends on how much flow you want going through it. for a filtration in a sump the general rule is 3 - 5 times the DT volume. to be on the safe side i would over rate the overflow to accept ~250G. that would require ~4" of linear overflow size. so a 1" x 1" square box would be enough but you couldn't plumb it so i would say you could get away with as small as you can safely plumb.

if you were still considering using fittings a 1 1/2" pipe will give 4.7" of linear overflow.

HTH
    `

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast