Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade LR

Question Homemade LR

I was wondering if there is some kind of Rock (dry) I can pick up from a Quary that I can put in my tank and use as Rock?

I have a 30 Gallon Long tank, with about 23 Pounds of Fiji LR, all pilled up in the corner and making its way lighter and lighter to the edge.

I've read about making LR with chicken wire and cement, but I dunno.. Seems like a little much for me. I just want to know if I can grab a chunk of some sort of rock and place it in the tank
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better -Albert Einstein

You might be better off to see one of the sponsors such as ottawa inverts about LR. I don't think you want to take chances throwing weird junk in there when you can get it between 4 to 8 bucks a pound. He also has some kind of home made LR similar to what you're referring too.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

IMO, on that sized tank I would just continue with the live rock. do you have any stock in there? [fish,corals].
    DIY rock is great and REDBELLY here makes some nice stuff if thats what you want to do.

ijo
    I agree with Johnny... with a tank that size... I would go with live rock. As for the DIY redbelly has... its amazing!! I purchased a corner piece for the wall tank and will be placing an order for custom overflow rock tower soon!!

IJO

MS jsut got a bunch of base rock in as well... its cheaper and saves the trouble of doing it yourself

You're all right! I'm going to stick to buying cured LR from the shops.. But I am going to attempt to make my own LR with chicken wire and Cement and crushed dry coral.

If it turns out good I'll take some pics. I'm more of an artist than I am a hobbyest, hobbiest?? Anyway, that word.

I want to make something with an arch and some pedestals for Coral to sit on.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better -Albert Einstein

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    I dont know if I would use chicken wire in the rock but thats up to you. Also conventional cement can take over 6 months to kure. And by kure here i mean the point at which it stops raising the ph.

If you want an arch I have a few already made and kured, ready to go in the tank.
    Hours:
    Saturdays: 10am - 6pm
    Sundays: 10am - 12pm "Salty Sundays"
    Sundays: 12pm - 6pm

Contact us at:
    613-884-SALT
    613-884-7258

Smile

no on the chicken wire, your putting metal in saltwater. not good.
    your probally thinking of chicken feed [crushed oyster shells]

ijo
    Patrick... do you have an pictures of those crazy backdrop rock structures?

I would be interested in purchasing some cured LR, specially if its in an arch already!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast