Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Our fish tour from Hamilton to Ottawa.

We set out this morning from Hamilton to head back to Ottawa visiting fish stores on the way home. Anita managed to loosen up $900 of negotiating room for our fish buying trip (that's the amount of money available and I have to negotiate to get it.)

We stopped first at Big Al's in Oakville to see the tank of death. It was well stocked with a couple of big sharks, big groupers, etc. They had lots of stock that all looked relatively good.

Next we visited Oakville Reef Gallery. When we got there the OPEN sign wasn't on and the hours listed on the front door indicated that it opened at 11:00. We waited and 11:00 came and went. We tried calling but got no answer. We finally gave up and left to get gas. On our way out we drove past around 11:30 and the OPEN sign was still off. I stopped the truck in the the middle of the parking lot to try the door. It wasn't locked but the store looked completely empty. We parked and headed for the store. Someone leaving the store greeted us as we entered (we didn't know who but came to believe that it was the owner.) We took a couple of tours around the store and checked out the stock. The guy at the desk was busy talking to someone and roundly ignored us as we browsed. We left with all $900 of our negotiating money in our account to try somewhere else.

Our next stop was Where's the Reef. Ted greeted us when we entered and told us to come and get him when we were ready. He turned off the flow in the coral tanks so we could get a good look. After a few minutes of browsing and some negotiating we asked Ted for help. He identified the corals we didn't recognize and negotiated prices. The corals all looked good. The fish tanks were empty as they are getting ready to move the store. In the end we left nearly $400 lighter.

Next we headed for Reef Raft. There were no hours posted on the door, the stock tanks looked empty, the cash register drawer was open (to discourage thieves, I'm sure) and no one answered the cell phone number posted on the store which had an unconfigured voice mail box. We left with a little more than $500 still in our negotiating account.

Next we decided to try Wicked Frags. No listing in the phone book. The locations and phone number are obviously closely guarded secrets since they are not on the website. We decided that they didn't want our $500 and moved on.

We stopped at Fin Adicts but their stock seemed low.

We stopped at Scotty's but they didn't have anything we wanted.

All in all I'd way we're probably going to head back to Where's the Reef to see the new store in August.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

Fairly disappointing tour...
    58 gallon display, 20 gallon sump, Octopus Recirc 110, Mag9 return. Nova Extreme lighting.
    55lbs live rock.
    Yellow Tang, 2 Clowns, Kupang Damsel, Yellow Watchmen.

24 gallon AquaPod, 24lbs live rock.
    Valentini Toby, Coral Beauty, various snails, hermits.

12 gallon AquaPod, 12lbs live rock, lots of mushrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by emahoney View Post
    Fairly disappointing tour...
    Yup. I hate dealing with amateurs. Where's the Reef was definitely the hilight. We got some nice pieces. They're floating in the tank right now.

You're from Kemptville?

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

You didn't and should of tried John's North America Fish Breeders in Scarbough.

Been their twice in the last three weeks.He's built my last two tanks.

You WOULD of come home lighter in the wallet.
    100G Reef
    Purple,Blue,Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.Damsel,Clown and Coral Beauty,Fosters Hawkfish.
    Many mixed corals and clams.
    65G fuge in basement.
    Mag 24 return,RODI,2 Phosban reactors and UV.
    620w in DT.

Quote Originally Posted by steve w. View Post
    You didn't and should of tried John's North America Fish Breeders in Scarbough.

Been their twice in the last three weeks.He's built my last two tanks.

You WOULD of come home lighter in the wallet.
    We talked about going there but just couldn't swing it. Lily is almost 3 and spent nearly 9 hours in the truck off and on today. NAFB was too far off our path. We're going to plan to go there in August. After our experience today we've got two or three stores we can scratch off the list for August which will free up time in our schedule. We're also going to plan to visit SeaUMarine.

Hank.

Living in Kemptville... on the creek. Nice town, no so good for purchasing anything fish related.
    58 gallon display, 20 gallon sump, Octopus Recirc 110, Mag9 return. Nova Extreme lighting.
    55lbs live rock.

Quote Originally Posted by emahoney View Post
    Living in Kemptville... on the creek. Nice town, no so good for purchasing anything fish related.
    Definitely true on both counts. There are a few of us down here, though. I'm 15 minutes from you and Donna is 15 minutes from me.

Hank.

The upside is I work in Bell Corners, so a trip to BA or Marinescape is only about 10 minutes away (usually my Friday afterwork routine).
    55lbs live rock.

liv
    wow.. long tour, too bad about the closed stores and the amateurs as you say he he. I hate being disapointed like that.. its like this week, I was looking for a few more network switches for the house, nothing fancy, just dumb switches. went online to futureshop and bestbuy.. both state available, then I show up to futureshop, not a single one in stock nor at bestbuy. Incredible.. incompetent f* ! Stupidity should hurt. we are in 2008, and they still can't sync their own db's properly. sorry to hijack, thats my rant for today. I used to call, until I noticed when I was in store that they check their website instead of the store db's when they get a call.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

FS, BB, Can Tire is another bad one... I don't know how many times I've gone in for something, for them to say they have X many in stock in the warehouse, wait a half hour, and for them to say they can't find them. Drives me crazy...
    55lbs live rock.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast