Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about Water Flow Rate

I will soon be upgrading my pump to a volicity T4 with 1 inch input and outputs. I was wondering if I would in effect create a lot of addition head if I split the output in to 2 - 1/2 inch feeds and use these universal jointed return tubes.
    Rob

Reducing the opening basically creates greater current. Maintaining the outlets at the largest possible size creates greater waterflow. A lot of people confuse or think that current adn waterflow are the same. Think of it as current is the speed the water is moving at, adn waterflow is the amount of water that is circulating.

Answer to your question....by reducing your output from 1 inch to two 1/2 inch outlets...you will maintain the same waterflow, and increase your water curent...therefore, it's a good idea. I hope this makes sense....

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Yes and that gismo he wants to use has at least (3) x 90 bends, thereby increasing the effective head the pump has to work against...
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Yes Reefvan I was more concerned about the 90 degree turns then the change in size. I am sure I read somewhere that every 90 degree turn in a water line is = to 1 foot of head? If this is the case I will have at least 7 additional feet of head because there will have to be a "T" reducer used as will. What I really want is the universal joints at the ends. I may just cut them off at the top just above the movable joints and use a loop in the supply line. If I do that I will add about 1 foot of tubing at each one and lose 4 90 degree corners. No matter how I do it the water line has to go up, over and down into the tank.

Yes...I left that part out not to complicate things...to avoid 90 degree turns I use the loc tite fittings....I find the flow much better with these...

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Here is the RDO pump reference document. In this document you will find the link to "Engineering the Plumbing System", which is an Excel spreadsheet.

http://reefs.org/library/pumps/

This downloadable spreadsheet is an excellent tool for doing all your flow calcs and de-bunking plumbing myth and fiction....

Enjoy :thumb:

Hi Mouse
    I just did a flow rate calculation at RC and they say I will be left with just over 1000 GPH if I can keep the hose size to 1 inch right up to the very end. I will also run only one supply line up to the top edge of the tank and the rest will be horizontal flow. I think if I can get about 1000 GPH with the slightly increased pressure I will be OK. Where can I look at theses loc-tite connection?

Hi ReefVan ... was there supposed to be a link there ? I would like to check that out.
    Rob

O.K,

My bad it's done...

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast