Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VHO Encaps issues?

Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot on RC lately and I'm positively scared about those horror stories about EndCaps catching fire. Now that Tooloud had a fire scare I'm wondering if I shouldn't go with a premade lighting system and fetch the $$$.

I was planning on doing a WH7/VHO setup (I actually even got the WH7 and the endcaps from IJE a couple of weeks back) and the endcaps look mighty similar to Tooloud's..

Need input,
    thx
    st

ijo
    supertanker... they are the same endcaps made by icecap... I doubt the problem is in the cap but either in the wiring or water must have got inside somehow and created an arc like johnny suggested... water and electricity just don't mix very well.

IJO

I hear ya IJO however there seems to be quite a number of people with problems like that, like this guy who's house burnt down on RC... I'm looking for a more "fault-proof" approach than DIY. My insurance company being the as**** they are they would probably say it was not an approved installation.

To the risk of sounding paranoid, I realize this hobby has risks but I am looking to minimize them wherever possible...

I have IceCap end caps on my 4 x 110w VHO setup for going on 5 years now. The ballast is a IceCap 660.

The rubber seals should be lubricated with silicone grease prior to installation and the caps snugged up at final installation, not overtightened.

My VHO's are 5 1/2" off the water and a 4" fan runs off a thermostat, basically the fan starts 30 minutes after the VHO's come on and shuts off 30 minutes after the lights go out.

So far so good, I believe Toooloud just had some bad luck.....

By the way I installed my MH bulbs at 6" off the water, didn't want any exploding bulbs....
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

I'd like to chime in here as well. In this hobby nothing is bullet proof but you have to try to minimize the risks.saltwater is super conductive!! way more than freshwater. The silicone grease that REEFVAN suggested is a great idea that I never even thought about. Also, a small fan on low speed in your canopy will work wonders! when lights are our condensation builds so a fan will fix that trouble. To me, this is the sure way to eliminate any moisture in your canopy therefore you will have only the wiring to worry about and wiring the ballasts are pretty straight forward.I gaurantee those fires were caused by moisture arcing in the caps after lights out. I actually lost 2 bulbs on my VHO before figuring it out! and the ICECAP660 safety shutoff worked great!

Thanks for the info, Johnny, what would be the difference between the WH7 and the ICECAP660 in terms of safety shutoff and rating?

Van, In light of what Johnny suggested, wouldn't you be better off keeping the fan on at all times to keep moisture out?

st

fan on

Thats why I love those temp, sensitive fans by ICECAP big bucks thow! and small computer fan would work good and an additional one on a timer for lights on.

So between an Icecap and a WH7 what is the difference?

st

Like alot of us I made my own hood.I decided to make it pretty tall just because of all these fire stories.Along with 14" between the bulbs and water,I also have a piece of glass that covers most of the top of the aquarium.You can never be too safe when it comes to water mixed with electricity.

If I'm not mistaken the IceCap is the only one that has a safety fuse ....
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast