Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oversizing drill holes

I'm trying to get my glass tank drilled in 2 locations for 1 inch bulkheads. Rainbow, the manufacturer, suggests that 1.75 inch holes are required for this size bulkhead. Glass cutters in the area seem to have 2 inch bits.

Is this ok? Can the drill holes be oversized for the bulkhead? Anybody has experience with this?

Thanks.

PS. The tank is a 135G, 6 feet long. The holes are to be drilled on the back near the top corners for Durso type stanpipes in corner overflows.

the way to do this is you bring in the bulkheads with the tank and any glass company will drill to fit. I've done this at the 2 main glass companys here in Ottawa. I liked M&T the best for price and service.

Thanks Johnny. I'm going to use 1.5" bulkheads / 2.5" holes. This drillbit size seems common enough. Will also increase my flow to sump capacity.
    29G Planted tank
    Setting up a 130G reef

thats the way to go! drain bigger than return. good show.

I use a 1 3/8th drill bit for dilling my tanks with 1 inch bulkheads.
    Depends on the Bulkheads.

Johnny Rock is right ... M&T is good and priced right. They used to do my tanks while I waited years ago when they were just starting out. I will return to them for my drilling needs.
    rob

I dropped off the tank at Centennial Glass on Industrial today for drilling. It should be ready for pick up tomorrow. I also picked up two (2) Hayward (the pool supplies company) 1.5Ē bulkheads. The 2.5Ē drill hole will be just perfect.

Iím drilling the tank in two spots. I doubt Iíll need that much drainage but, hey, it doesnít hurt.

The folks at Centennial seem to be very helpful and pleasant. Iíll let you know how the drilling went

ijo
    good stuff C-FYMP... keep us updated. I for one am interested... its one thing to tell clients they should get their tanks drilled... but its another to recommend someone to do it.

IJO

I picked up the tank on Saturday - in one piece . The folks at Centennial Glass did a good job. There was minor chipping of glass at the edge of one of the holes - nothing to write home about, but I thought I should mention it. They charged me $35 per hole + taxes. The total for the two holes came up to $80 and few cents. I was a little disappointed because one I called making my enquiry, the lady told me it would be $12.50 per hole. Not overly disappointed, though, other glass cutters had quoted me $50 per hole, $80 for the two holes.

Did I mention the holes were 2.5" in diameter?

I got three guys to help me move the tank to the basement. It was a real battle, but we prevailed. Now it is sitting pretty in its final location waiting to be resealed and tested.
    29G Planted tank
    Setting up a 130G reef

I have a 140g Oceanic tank that I would like drilled. Any comments or suggestions before I proceed. Looking for some guideance here. I thought it was a problem to drill an already made tank.

Thanks in advance

Derek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast