Resealing a tank

I'm examining the sides of my 130G tank and noticed that the seal in the upper quarter in one of the corners is questionable. I have not tested the tank yet so Im not sure it will leak. I will test on Sunday once I get it down to the basement after drilling.

Anyway, if it turns out there is a small leak in that corner, Im figuring I can probably fix it by applying aquarium safe silicone on the inside of the corner. Even though there is there is a plastic retainer rim on the top edge of the tank, I may reinforce the corners from the outside further somehow (havent decided how yet) to minimize the stress on the silicone joints. Alternatively, I can have the tank professionally resealed.

Do you know anybody who does this kind of work in town? Typically, this would be someone who builds tanks.

This tank is 72L x 16W x 24 H, 0.5 thick glass. I dont know how old it is since I bought it off someone, but I would guess it is about 10 years old or so (as a safe guess).

Your feedback would be appreciated.

resealing

I would take a razor if your that worried and cut the inside silicone out. Then run a new bead from bottom to top. Take some water and dip your finger in there and smooth the silicone out to look like the other corner seals.There are to seals,the one that sticks the glass together and the one on the inside which your changing. I did this on my 90g[replaced side panel] with 0 probs.

Hi Johnny,

The seal that looks questionable to me (a small portion of it does) is the one that keeps the two panes of glass together. I'm hoping that by renewing the silicone on the inside, I won't have to deal with the silicone in the joint (between the two sheets of glass).

But if that doesn't work, is there someone who can rebuild this tank for me?
    29G Planted tank
    Setting up a 130G reef

C-FYMP,

Just a heads up.. New silicone will not cure correctly to old silicone, You will not get a proper seal.. So it might or might not work!..
    It highly suggested to strip the tank down and reseal the whole thing.. depending on the leak

C-fymp,
    The seal on the inside is strictly for waterproofing the joint so tha no water will esacape. The silicone bead joining the 2 panels together is the ONLY one that is actually doing any holding. This seal has to be a solid/thorough/perfect seal. Otherwise, it's strength will be compromised. It has to be able to withstand the shear pressure of 2 panels trying to seperate when the water is pushing against it. Also, not many people no this but a thinner bead will be stronger than a thicker one because of less moving or stretching which would stress it. To redo it properly, you have to remove ALL old silicone traces, and I mean ALL..., even the minute film left after removing the actual bead otherwise the new silicone won't stick. That's the beauty of silicone...., it's so good at not letting anything stick to it that it won't even stick to itself!!!: