Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Custom Aquarium Shape.. is it possible?

Hello,
    I am in the process of finishing my basement. I have an "indent" in the wall which I was originally going to build a "built in bench". Then my wheels started turning..

Does anyone think that THIS tank idea is feasible? IE.. will it hold up to the pressure of the water inside? I did a quick diagram using paint. It is an above view.

The overflows would be built inside the tank along the back glass with teeth cut into the top. The returns would be closed loop coming up from the bottom with backflow valves hidden amongst the rock work.

The only thing I was not sure about was that the corners were not 90 degree angles and would this affect the strength of the tank? Thanks for all your opinions!

is your indent in the wall shaped like that? if not, then honestly its not worth the cost to get a custom tank especially in that shape. it'll be a bear to clean the front corners and your not gaining any realstate with that shape.
    getting good flow could be an issue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by john rock View Post
    is your indent in the wall shaped like that? if not, then honestly its not worth the cost to get a custom tank especially in that shape. it'll be a bear to clean the front corners and your not gaining any realstate with that shape.
    getting good flow could be an issue as well.
    John..:b3: I would not create such a goofy looking tank it the wall was not that shape :b2:

You are 100% correct tho.. and I have thought of a better idea.. to keep it simple and small (my original goal for next tank) I could just put a regular 48 x 15 x 18 sized tank in the wall and build the cabinet around the sides. I could also do a 6 sided tank to get a little bit better flow.. it would obviously cost more tho.. we will see..

this way I can remove the overflows and returns from in the tank and drill them in the sides.. removing them from view somewhat.. someone also recommended cutting dry live rock and using sillicone to secure it to the back glass... I think it would give it a cool look..

I plan on using mostly dry rock this time around.. have to keep unwanted hitchhikers out this time!

liv
    Hi Nallander,
    Yes its feasable, but your corners will need the proper angle. ( possibly ~45deg for the side pieces on both sides ( both front and back ) to have a good bind.
    It would make for an interesting shape. But agree with John that it will be a bit harder to clean.

Still.. keep us in the loop.. could make for some interesting view.. you could seed some zoos on those edges and be able to observe them closely.

Post a pic of your area so we can understand better.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

liv
    ya.. a regular tank would be much less expensive then a custom built.
    and the cabinet work may be real nice. You could bring the tank forward and make bookshelfs on both sides

I went out to the garage and measured a tank I have had sitting out there unused. The dimensions.. 48 x 13 deep x 20 high.. I think I have a winner..

I desperately need to get a digital camera so I can start a proper build thread as I go..

Here is an expertly drawn diagram of what I will be doing.. yes.. it is expertly done..

liv
    he he.. looks great !
    Another sweet thread to follow-up on

can't wait !

yeah, new build coming up!!!!

i'm not even sure they could properly cut the glass to make those sharp angles, using the standard tank will save you a lot of money and you wont loose much space.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

It is for sure possible. I build a custom ~40g that is a square but with the back two corners cut off on 45 deg angles. I couldn't fit a full square so this gave me enough room for the plumbing. If you have a tank that will work easily without the custom though I would probably just use it and save the headaches.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

It can be done out of glass but it wont be cheap, an other option would be acrylic, you could get those angles cut easy with the table saw. I would stick with the plain jane tank and fill in the corners it will save you a lot of money, time, and headaches for sure.

Paze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast